Migrating 1771 to Ethernet/IP..ideas sought

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a client who is (slowly) migrating numerous 1771-based systems (PLC5/xx) to Ethernet/IP (ControlLogix 5k).

There are numerous reasons he does NOT want to use the layered 'snap in the wiring arms' solution from Rockwell. FLEX IO is also not in good favor at his facility.

I would appreciated private messages with suggestions, and/or a calm thread here, if it can stay upbeat.

There is a good quantity involved, so this is a critical decision.

I'm favoring a WAGO-type of approach, but cautious due to the Wago-wiggle problem of years ago.

I have done conversions on 3 lines here all over 4000 I/O i used primarily point I/o but some 1756 chasis I/O where the desity made sense.

The Point I/o Is pretty rugged and can handle the safety I/O also if you so desire.

One option is to replace the PLC/5 processor with a 1771-ASB Remote I/O Adapter and then control the 1771 I/O with the new ControlLogix processor using a 1756-DH/RIO card. This allows you to upgrade the program to RSLogix 5000 while the existing 1771 I/O remains virtually untouched.

The layered "snap in wiring arms" solution looks interesting, I have not seen it implemented in the field. I could see some reasons to not go that route.

One option is to replace the PLC/5 processor with a 1771-ASB Remote I/O Adapter and then control the 1771 I/O with the new ControlLogix processor using a 1756-DH/RIO card. This allows you to upgrade the program to RSLogix 5000 while the existing 1771 I/O remains virtually untouched.

The layered "snap in wiring arms" solution looks interesting, I have not seen it implemented in the field. I could see some reasons to not go that route.

Good call here. And, I do have another project where the end user is doing just as described here (above). They plan on attacking the I/O 'in the future', and the 1771-ASB replacement was a quick and dirty way to do the changeover in less than a shift, and get back in production.