Migrating Sinamics S120 to TIA Portal V14

ohlylo

Hi all,

I'm working on migrating some old Sinamics S120 drive units currently integrated in Step 7 5.6/WinCC Flexible 2008 RT to TIA Portal V14. It's a CU320 (*not* CU320-2) running firmware 2.6.2. I've seen Siemens' documentation on migrating the CU320-2 with a script that requires firmware 4.3 or newer - not supported on the CU320. I believe 2.6.2 HF19 is the newest firmware supported.

Is there a way to get this bad boy working in TIA v14 that isn't going to involve recreating the stations from scratch after migration?

Yes
But forget using Startdrive with Portal- it wont work with CU320

Import in the gsd files manually

https://support.industry.siemens.co...amics-s120:-profibus-gsd-files?dti=0&lc=en-US

Continue using Starter software for the drives

Is it really as easy as importing the GSDs? I feel silly if it's that simple, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless!

I installed a trial of Scout to do the migration but Starter is free so that is probably easiest. So you have to manage the drives outside of TIA still? Minor drawback. I'm not changing the programs at all, that's not my lane, I'm just moving the whole shebang to TIA and this is my current roadblock.

Your config will look something like this
Did your Step7 project use DriveES ?

You can try to migrate with hardware, I will be curious how it goes
How far have you gotten?

and yes- with your current CU320- you have to use Starter or Scout
Just download Starter- it is no charge

cu320.jpg

Your config will look something like this
Did your Step7 project use DriveES ?

You can try to migrate with hardware, I will be curious how it goes
How far have you gotten?

and yes- with your current CU320- you have to use Starter or Scout
Just download Starter- it is no charge

So far I've not done much of anything. I attempted the TIA migration and got about a thousand errors because it wouldn't migrate the drive units. I will have to import the GSDs tomorrow and install Starter and see where that gets me!

Migrate it without the hardware first

By the way- Starter has a script file that will generate gsd files (you have to download it from the Siemens support site)
It can take your existing CU's and generate your gsd file- then import that into Portal

Anyway- let us know how it goes
Ive done quite a few conversions but generally the existing hardware is old and not in the catalog anymore

If you want to - posts some screenshots of your Step7 hardware configuration

Last edited:
Migrate it without the hardware first

By the way- Starter has a script file that will generate gsd files (you have to download it from the Siemens support site)
It can take your existing CU's and generate your gsd file- then import that into Portal

Anyway- let us know how it goes
Ive done quite a few conversions but generally the existing hardware is old and not in the catalog anymore

If you want to - posts some screenshots of your Step7 hardware configuration

The one script I found is only for CU320-2s running 4.3 or newer firmware. Do you have a link for the script supporting the older models?

I will play with it and see how it goes :)