Mitsubishi MELSEC FX2N

ronboom

I was asked to look at a job that involves resurrecting a piece of equipment that hasn't been used in ~8 years. It has a Mistubishi MELSEC FX2N-48MT controller on it and the only documentation is a printout of the program (no wiring diagrams). After 3 days, I am pretty sure I need to make some programming changes -- some peripheral machinery is no longer attached and it is keeping the main program from executing it's core function. I have been able to sidestep some of these signals with time delay circuits and additional relays; but, there are some internal bits (aka M11) that I cannot simulate from the outside world. So, having only programmed AB and Idec controllers, I have no idea what software I should be looking for -- given the vintage of the machine, I'm guessing there is nothing available for Windows 7 or 8? Also, do I need any funky programming cables/modules?

thx,
ron

For a single project I would suggest to save money and use old Melsec Medoc software.
It can be found for free download after some search.
The last known version is 2.4, but 2.3 will work as well.
I am successfully running it on 32-bit Windows 7.
On 64-bit, most probably, it will run only in virtual 32-bit machine, but I've never tried this myself.
It's a DOS-style soft, not supporting mouse and USB, but the interface is simple and the screen displays surprisingly much information for 80-line text-only terminal.
The standard programming cable for the round RS-422 port is SC-09, however I would purchase the RS232 adapter board and use a regular null-modem serial cable.
In both cases, you will need a USB to serial COM port adapter.

Hi there!

The Windows based versions are GX Developer, GX IEC Developer or the newest is GX Works.
But these need a license, so as Sergei siad, for only one project it is better to use the DOS version.

BR

Last edited: