Mitsubishi software licensing confusion

cherryfox

I'm looking to purchase either GX works2 or works3 for a Q series rack I purchased off of ebay. Now the confusion comes from either purchasing GXWORKS2C1 or GXWORK3C1. I know this CPU only works with version 2 but I've seen a post on a different forum claiming GX works2 comes with works3. Is this correct? I'd rather purchase v3 knowing that it comes with v2 versus having to buy both.

GXWorks3 comes with GXW2, it also comes with a sort of GXDeveloper (well GXWorks2 that does normal ladder like GXDeveloper), when you run GXW3 and select one of the older Q series it starts a GXW2 session. so the GXW3 package will work for A, Q (in A & Q mode) L, FX and GXW3 for FX5 & motion CPU's.

If you register it with Mitsubishi you can download updates as well.
Not sure what experience you have with Mitsubishi but a few things you might want to know, Mitsubishi does not use symbolic based addressing directly, it uses actual addresses as per the old system like "M", D etc. although it can be programmed in symbolic (tag names) only, what it actually does is allocate these at compile time and cannot be read by communications or HMI's etc. as these still require the real addresses like M100, D50 etc. So if you are writing a program that communicates with an HMI you need to give your tags a physical address, this is done in global labels , global labels do not have to have a physical address if not using it for display or control on an HMI or Scada etc. Local labels do not have a physical address as these are deemed temporary & only accessible within that block of code not outside. When you install GXW3, make sure you also install the help system, this gives you quick access to the help on functions by highlighting a function & pressing F1 it will display the help on that function, you have to get used to the chineenglish translation of the help but once you get used to it it's not too bad, sure you have had something for Asia with one of these manuals.

Last edited: