Mitsubishi GX IEC Developer 7.04 software

Anthony PLC

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Mitsubishi Q series PLC whose code was developed in Mistubishi's GX IEC Developer v7.04. I looked online for GX IEC Developer but I'm unable to find it anywhere.

I installed GX Works 2 to convert this file, as IEC developer is unsupported, but there're several errors after compiling the converted file which is one of the reasons why I looked online for the old IEC developer software.

Any leads on this would be really helpful. Thank You.

Thanks.

I assume you have the source file ?.
If not then when you upload it the code will come back in statement list possibly convert to ladder (GXDeveloper version) unless the original programmer downloaded the compressed project (not many do).
There are some issues if you do not have the original source file GXIEC was the first gen of the IEC to make it compatible with the older systems & to display the graphical representations of the code it used lots of temporary memories i.e. M9000 > & D9000 as placeholders.
If you have the source code then conversion can also be a problem, for example, if the user created function blocks & used the same name for the parameters as the symbolic variable passed to it then it will find errors. There is a setting in the compiler settings if enabled allows you to use the same symbolic name but never tried it. I have always re-named either the symbol passed to it or the FB in/out var.
GXIEC was originally developed by a contractor to Mitsubishi I had a number of communications with them in the early days. GXIEC I believe is not availlable now & has not been for many years. I have it on one of my old PC's but not the original CD & not sure what version it is. I also suggest you upload the memory "Main" from the PLC as this may contain retentive data & loss of battery etc. any stored data will be lost.

I assume you have the source file ?.
If not then when you upload it the code will come back in statement list possibly convert to ladder (GXDeveloper version) unless the original programmer downloaded the compressed project (not many do).
There are some issues if you do not have the original source file GXIEC was the first gen of the IEC to make it compatible with the older systems & to display the graphical representations of the code it used lots of temporary memories i.e. M9000 > & D9000 as placeholders.
If you have the source code then conversion can also be a problem, for example, if the user created function blocks & used the same name for the parameters as the symbolic variable passed to it then it will find errors. There is a setting in the compiler settings if enabled allows you to use the same symbolic name but never tried it. I have always re-named either the symbol passed to it or the FB in/out var.
GXIEC was originally developed by a contractor to Mitsubishi I had a number of communications with them in the early days. GXIEC I believe is not availlable now & has not been for many years. I have it on one of my old PC's but not the original CD & not sure what version it is. I also suggest you upload the memory "Main" from the PLC as this may contain retentive data & loss of battery etc. any stored data will be lost.

Thank you for the valuable information Parky.. Much appreciated.

There can be some other problems in conversion if the original programmer has built their own libraries & protected them these will not be added to the new GXWorks project, it would require them to be exported in GXIEC then re-imported into GXworks. I have version 7.xx of IEC I think so could try & convert or at least get a printout in pdf form again it would be dependant on certain things like password protection of the files etc.

There can be some other problems in conversion if the original programmer has built their own libraries & protected them these will not be added to the new GX Works project, it would require them to be exported in GXIEC then re-imported into GX Works. I have version 7.xx of IEC I think so could try & convert or at least get a printout in pdf form again it would be dependant on certain things like password protection of the files etc.

Thanks once again Parky for the reply. The client has only given me a copy of the code, but I'm only able to see a file with " .PRO " extension when I try to convert it using the "Other File Option" in GX Works 2. You're comment on the libraries not getting converted is correct because I get those error messages post conversion. Hmm, I'll have a look through it once again and work on the lines.
Many thanks once again for your guidance Parky !!

I think you will need GXIEC to export the libs, does it display the code i.e. the functions from the lib show up as a box with a cross in it.
There are some weird things when trying to convert if the project has been password protected (view only) then it will ask for a password this then allows editing the program but if the total project is protected then it cannot be converted at all. if the libs are imported these will show up as read only, I have managed in the past to get them to open (not sure how it happened but some playing around did open them).
you should have the following in the project directory & softctrl.pro is the one that GXWorks will use to convert the project.

GXIEC.png

The image posted in your reply matches what I've seen as well, with the exception of a TEMP file in my version. I've attached the image for clarity. I tried opening the project using "Open Other Projects" option in GX Works 2 but all it can open is the .PRO file with a missing registry and compilation errors for reasons you mentioned above. Do you reckon that IEC developer is required to export libraries specifically post conversion ? Also do you reckon GX Works 3 would help instead of GX Works 2?

I downloaded the trial version of GX Works 3 but couldn't find options to open an IEC Developer file, unlike GX works 2, so thought of having your opinion in this matter. Thank You..

Mitsubishi.PNG

GXworks3 is used for the latest hardware, it also contains a compatible mode of GXworks2 if you have to use it then you have to create a new project as for example a Q plc, this then opens up GXWorks 2 in a fashion so in reality it is GXWorks 2 version it loads so no real advantage but once opened, it will then allow you to convert a GXIEC project.
On the files I tried that were created in GXDev it would not import the user libs unfortunately it does appear that you will need IEC to export the libs.
If it is allowable by your customer I will send you a personal message with my e-mail address & if you zip it up I could open it with GXIEC and either post back a pdf printout or try & convert it to GXWorks2, bear in mind that for you to go on-line & make any mods you will have to compile it & download it fully as the compiler will almost certainly re-map the temporary variables it uses so the raw code sent to the plc will be different to what is current but functionally the same I suggest you create a GXworks project as a ladder only (effectively runs a compatible version of GXDeveloper & upload the memory "MAIN" & the PLC parameters in other words upload everything from the PLC the code will not make sense as there will be many jumps past the main program for the functions using memory areas in what they call the reserved area for the compiler but at least you will have a copy of the data in the registers & the PLC parameters, there are other things you need to be aware of that although many parameters for special cards a set in the project, some may require aux programs to configure the cards directly rather than in the program although I don't recall any during the days of GXIEC It is the norm now to have utility programs for programming the parameters for speacial cards like Ethernet, analogues etc.

Hi Parky, thanks for the message. I'm unsure if our client will allow sharing code online as it's for proprietary equipment. I'll have a go and see how it works. Thanks a lot for the advice Parky !!

If you post it to my personal email it will not be accessable to anyone else but I do understand their reluctance. best of luck. If you need anymore assistance just let me know.