MLx 1500 w/ ENI - Incompatible processor

phuz

I have two MLx 1500 PLCs with ENI modules. RSLinx successfully browses them and even pulls up the "data monitor" with valid values. But trying to go online with the program in Logix500, I get "Incompatible processor" every time.

I've never experienced this with any of the ~10 ENIs I've done over the years.

This seems to be a problem with the version of Logix500 you are using, not the ENI. As a test, if you can create a new program for the ML1500 with the version of Logix500 you are using, then it should be able to go online with the processor. Can you create a new program for the version of ML1500 you have with the version of Logix500 you have?

Shawn

No, I thought the same, and I updated my software. What was strange was that after about 5 attempts, it actually worked. I did an upload and created a new file, and merged the documentation from the offline file into this one.
I've never seen this behavior before.

It did it again yesterday. Of course being a 1500, all my changes had to be done through download (in lieu of online edits) and it took about 4-5 attempts with each MLx before it would actually initiate the download and go online. The other attempts resulted in the same "Incompatible processor."

Can't connect directly to processor because it is in a 480 panel that requires suiting and is not a valid option. I should note that the ControlLogix reading messages from this MLx does not have any issues and reads each message successfully.

I am using Ethernet Devices (AB_ETH), not Ethernet/IP.

I've found two things to be very important for proper operation of an ENI. First, no matter how the ENI is powered (externally via the terminals on it or internally via the PM02 cable from the processor), that the ground terminal of the ENI is grounded. Secondly, that the firmware is the most recent. I'm going to guess that in your case, the ENI isn't grounded.

Shawn