Modbus RTU to Eth I/P gateway

dginbuffalo

Hello,
I am looking for thoughts on a device to "easily" transfer data from a chiller with a RS-485 Modbus RTU card onto a Ethernet I/P network for use in a A/B Compactlogix PLC. I've looked at RTA 451EM, Lantronix DR-IAP, HMS Anybus commincator. This will be my first stab at a data transfer of this sorts so I'm hoping for something that isn't too complex!! Thanks.:unsure:

We use a couple of Lantronix converters in our plant to bring Modbus data from outside Generac emergency generators with no problems. If you'd like I can get the model number we use.

dginbuffalo will you ever need an HMI on the system or do you already have an HMI? That is how I deside what to use on my stysems. You can use the Real Time Automation stuff if you don't plan on expanding the system or need an HMI. If you do need an HMI I recommend the Red Lion. Both companies have great tech support so either route you go you will have help from the supplier or us on this forum.

As Burnerman said, use the Redlion DSPLE. We use them all the time for just this purpose (except that we only occasionally use Ethernet/IP - but it works)

JeffKiper- we will be using a Panelview Plus HMI connected to to the Ethernet network. Would that change the product you would suggest and why? My plan was to pluck the Modbus info out of the PLC to use on the HMI. A little confused on why an HMI would change things-thx for all the replies.

Red Lion can bridge your comms through their hardware (HMI).
No need for converters, the Red Lion will do that for you.
That is what Jeff had in mind!

I HAVE NOT DON THIS!!! I think you can run the Ratterman through the pv+ with a kept driver. Not sure so check with the PC+ guys. I am not one of them.

Do you have the PV+ currently? If not use the red lion for your HMI.