Modicon 984 385E Modsoft

Do you have any other Modicon software laying around your shop? If you can get your hands on ProWorxNXT, I would recommend that.
I have only a little Modicon experience as well...did a job about a year ago and we had a Schneider rep help us...NXT was what he used...it's late 90's vintage but works fine with Windows XP and is a graphical interface and fairly intuitive.
ProWorx32 is the current version of that software, but even the Schneider guy said it sucked and he recommended sticking with the older NXT. If you contact your local Schneider rep, maybe off the record they'd send you a copy of NXT if you ask nice!

Well, that sucks.

Lets get our forum DosBox expert in here, he might not have looked at the thread since he's not a Modicon programmer. I'll send him a P.M,

GIT, if you see this do you have any hints about making sure DosBox is set up right?

sixstringz1

Did you edit you comms settings for DOSBOX?

You need to go into your dosbox directory and open the options file in notepad and change the comm 1 / serial 1 settings.I think by default it is set to dummy.

You want to make it like I have in the string in red. Also verify your modicon software is set to comm1 also.

I use this to test /troubleshoot with so you can see whats happening http://www.virtual-serial-port.com/virtual-serial-port-kit.html

serialX = device [parameter:value]
device can be: dummy | modem | nullmodem | directserial parameter is: irq value is:
  1. for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
  2. for modem: listenport (optional).
  3. for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr, transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
Defaults: serial1=dummy serial2=dummy serial3=disabled serial4=disabled An example of how to configure an actual serial port for I/O use: serial1=directserial realport:com1

I used: serial1=directserial realport:com1 on port one and two. I get a few flashes of the modbus led but then error 166.
I also tried adding these parameters (from a previous thread) I do not get any activity on the modbus led (error 199)with the following settings.

[cpu]
core=auto
#cputype=auto
cputype=486_slow
cycles=fixed 3000
#cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[serial]

#serial1=dummy
serial1=directserial realport:com1 mode:rtu startbps:9600 parity:e bytesize:8 stopbits:1 rxdelay:5000 txdelay:5000
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c c:\
c:\

You may want to check the serial settings in the bios also. Make sure they are not lower than what you are trying to work with.

Not sure about the modicon error.

Did you get a chance to try what we discussed on the phone? Let me know how that went and if it was successful. If its successful then we know this is a configuration problem as opposed to something wrong with the hardware.

I tried PLC Workshop but it would not connect either. Found a different computer with Proworx NXT on it. Was able to connect to it and upload program but when I tried to open file I kept getting a pop up saying the this version of Proworx was only for 984 Compact, Quantum.... and so on. I was able to save the file so If I can get it into a PDF or other printable format my problem would be solved. I never was able to get modsoft to connect, tried 3 different computers.

Do you have the saved program on disk? If so zip it and attach it to a post. I no longer have ProworxNXT but there are others here who do.