Modicon Test Bench

Zelio is not truly a PLC though. If he wants to learn the way Telemecanique will program going forward, he needs a TSX Micro (not MOdicon Micro) and PL7. Or a newer unit and Unity.

984 Ladder Logic is obsolete.

Crossbow said:

There has been no announcement by Schneider Electric that 984LL is obsolete.

Yes, Unity is their platform of choice for new systems/projects but, they are not abandoning their installed 984LL base while it is still technically feasible. Heck, I think they are still supporting Sy/Max which is almost 30yrs old.

chud said:
Like Jim said that logic is in 984. I would stay clear of it as it will soon be obsolete. Rather get trial versions of pl7 pro or if you can unity pro.
I would try and get the latter (Has a built in simulator) and get a m340 plc (awesome plc).
If u dont want to splash out, get pl7 pro and a Tsx micro.
Shouldnt waste ur time on old equiptment if you dont have it in ur plant, cause ur not going to buy that old equiptment(I hope not)

HMM...what happens if he leaves there and goes to a plant with the old modicon in it?

If your learning...learn as much as you can...trust me the 984LL isnt going anywhere for a while...its robust,easy for Bubbas like me to understand. and as for the old dos software...Modsoft Rocks for 984LL..proworx and the such are more cumbersome...I think anyway..

Darren

Crossbow said:
Zelio is not truly a PLC though. If he wants to learn the way Telemecanique will program going forward, he needs a TSX Micro (not MOdicon Micro) and PL7. Or a newer unit and Unity.

lOOK ON THE PLC. MODICON TSX MICRO

Modicon also released a showbox style PLC called Micro years and years ago. If it does not say TSX MICRO it's the old 984 ladder logic type. That's why I said make sure it says Modicon TSX Micro to learn IEC programming.

I know Modicon hasn't announced killing 984 ladder (or even Symax) but let's face it. If you want to learn something that will be most applicable moving forward, you need to learn IEC style programming. The old proprietary ladder formats are slowly (and sometimes VERY slowly) being replaced with IEC.

Learning IEC style programming should be the first step since it's most application to more vendors. Why learn a dedicated system like 984 ladder first and then have to retrain on IEC. if you want to start at ground zero and work up, you should try to get the most use for your time, and that's IEC.

Thnx for all the responses guys. It's really helping me to get an idea what I will need to look for to get this project off the ground.

Download TwidoSuite Ver 2.1 for free here with built-in simulation if you want to start learning with the small end Schneider PLC.
Then buy Unity Pro software which also has built in simulator. For hardware, go for Quantum Unity processor or Premium Unity processor or M340 processor.
Learning older modicon PLCs will not be very helpful for you in the future.