Monitor Pro to Excel using DDE communication

ayman metwally

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings everybody,

I'm trying to establish a DDE communication between Monitor Pro 7.2 and Excel 2003.

I'm configuring Monitor Pro as a DDE server, I added a new Task in the "configuration explorer" under "System" with these parameters:
- Flag: FSR
- Task Name: FLDDESRV
- Path: /bin/flddesrv

Now for the Excel part:
In the formula of one of the cells I should this DDE address:

=FLNAME.FLUSER|RTDB!'tag_name'

It's all stated in "TaskConfigurationReferenceGuide.pdf"

My question is what Does FNAME and FLUSER refers to?
I believe that FLNAME is my application name (e.g. MyStarterApp), Is it correct?
And what is FLUSER ?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I know in the Excel helpfile it is said like this:

The following example shows the parts of a remote reference formula and the required separator characters:

default.aspx

A pipe character (|) separates the program name from the document or topic name. An exclamation point (!) separates the document or topic name from the cell range, value, field, or data referred to.

So in your case the FLNAME is the name of the program and the .FLUSER could be the user name to access Monitor Pro.

I'm not familiar with Monitor Pro but I hope this helps a little.

Greetings Webhead,

Yes, This is the standard format of any DDE address:
Application|Topic!Item

I did many DDE/OPC linking before in customized software for different applications, My problem now is that I can't recognize the names that should be used to in the DDE address to link Excel to Monitor Pro.

Anyway, Thanks a lot for replying .. I appreciate it.