Motion Controllers and PLCs

Orn Jonsson

Hi All,

I am looking for an economical solution to setting up a 2-3 axis Linear motion servo transfer system.
This will be used in a clean room to transfer a wafer boat from one bath to another and another etc. (up to 12 baths in one line)based on time and/or resistivity of the medium in the baths.

The user interface has to be very flexible and user friendly, and the motion controller must be able to read and write to the user interface (probably via a PLC).

I know that Parker6K series will talk to AB SLC 5/05 but both controller and PLC are rather costly.

I have used Delta RMC controllers with AB SLC 500 but again both are rather costly.

Any suggestions will be appreciated,

OJ

For multi-axis apps the A-B 1394 GMC (General Motion Controller) is not bad. It has one system module which supports up to 4 axis module/amplifiers. It has an icon based programming language which can be a blessing and a curse (but all software has its plusses and minuses).

As Peter said, are you sure you need a PLC. With the 1394, you can talk to a panelview over DH-485 and if you need some I/O there is built in support for Flex I/O blocks.

I hope you have had clean room experience. I don't believe standard lube methods will cut it depending on the level of clean room.

Trio

In an upcoming project, I'll be using a Trio 206 position controller in conjunction with a BRU drive. On-board IO, up to five axis of motion control, your choice of HMI (modbus protocol). Multi-Tasking, programs in a user-friendly version of BASIC. I haven't used it yet, but I get alot of positive feedback wherever I mention it, including here.

Good Luck!

TM