Moving array data from CompactLogix to Excel using DDE/OPC.

MontyPY

Hey all,

This is more of a question of "can I do this more efficiently" rather than how do I do this...

We collected a week's work of temperature data throughout our school using thermocouples and our CompactLogix trainers. When we came back we had about 336 entries for different values (hours/mins/sec/temp/etc).

So here's the question: We made a new topic in RSLinx under the DDE/OPC configuration and copied the DDE/OPC link under the edit menu. When we go to do a paste special in excel, it seems like there is a limit to how many elements of the array we can past at one time. Anything above 120 would give us a "#Name?" error.

We finished the assignment by just pasting 120 at a time. Ex. [0,0] would be the first entry of the year up to [0,336]. Then month would be [1,0] to [1,336] etc. Ending at seconds which was [4,0] to [4,336]. Would have been much easier if we could paste in 336 elements for each value.

Just curious if this is a limitation of the method we are using, or if we are just going about it the wrong way. Thanks in advance!

I can give you a much cleaner and faster method using AdvancedHMI.If you're interested, let me know and I can elaborate on the details of how to do it.

You could write a macro that could run whenever you wanted and use dde to write to excel files. I have seen that before.

not sure what hmi if any you are using.