Moving Multiple UDT at once

PLC Pie Guy

Hey all.

Quick question about RSL5000. Currently in V20.

I am wondering how one could go about exporting multiple UDT data types from one project to a folder then import them into another project. Currently I always export one by one and import one by one. This takes forever when there are nearly 50 of them.

How would you do it??

Thanks

If you have both projects on the same machine, you can copy/paste them one at a time. Still clunky but much better than going through the import/export process.

If you use these UDTs on many projects, why not create a template project file with them in it. Then add as needed to the template.

If you have both projects on the same machine, you can copy/paste them one at a time. Still clunky but much better than going through the import/export process.

That is what I do now. I have one Master program with all the UDT code and things I use on a regular basis. I start a new project with that and delete what I wont need.

Also if I create a new UDT or block of code I add it to the Master copy.

I would do a File > Save As > "Master_Copy" on a Program file that contains all the UDT's. Then Delete All Subroutines, Delete all Logic in the Main Routine and then Delete all Unused Tags. This should give you a clean copy. Then Save your "Master Copy".

I also use the Master Template project but I have on the occasion wanted to copy UDTs or AOIS. On the project with all of the UDTs that you wish to copy, you could create a UDT that includes members made up of each UDT or AOI you want exported; call it "All_UDT_AOIs". Then export All_UDT_AOI and all of the UDTs and AOIs that are used will export with it.

I am wondering how one could go about exporting multiple UDT data types from one project to a folder then import them into another project.
a) Create a temporal UDT.
b) Add as many members as UDTs you need to export:
var1 -> UDT1
var2 -> UDT2
c) Export the temporal UDT. Select the option "Include all referenced Add-On Instructions and User-Defined Types".

The exported file will contain all the selected UDTs.

------------
@jstolaruk: funny I was writing a similar answer

Last edited:
All good reply's guys.

I think adding them to one temporal UDT will work good for this one particular scenario as I do have to copy these UDT to 2 projects and nearly all 50 are pertaining to just one machine. There are other UDTs that I will leave out of the temporal UDT as they don't pertain to the same equipment, that could be messy.

Normally, I do keep a master PLC file with the usual UDT and AOI that get used frequently but this was just something I was adding on the fly.

Thanks for all the replies.

tem·po·ral

adjective

Relating to worldly as opposed to spiritual affairs; secular.
synonyms: secular, nonspiritual, worldly, profane, material, mundane, earthly, terrestrial;

Sorry guys, but I got tickled on this one. I think you meant to use "temporary" instead. :)

English isn't a language. English is three languages stacked on top of one another wearing a trench coat.

tem·po·ral

adjective

Relating to worldly as opposed to spiritual affairs; secular.
synonyms: secular, nonspiritual, worldly, profane, material, mundane, earthly, terrestrial;

Sorry guys, but I got tickled on this one. I think you meant to use "temporary" instead. :)

Well,, here I was all impressed because I thought I learned a new word today. I guess I should stop saying it!

Although, if you want to laugh, you should hear my Spanish...

I get by, but only on the generosity of the listener.