Multimeter choices

Timeismoney08

Ok, So I'm looking to purchase a new meter to replace my current one.

What I'm looking for may not exist, but please let me know if it does or not.

I want:

A Fluke under 400$
Clamp on meter, either with a magnet strap or built in magnet, with a clip to hold the lead on to the meter while checking circuits (not priority). It must check AC/DC ohms and obviously current seeing its a ammeter.

I can't seem to find what I'm wanting through fluke, but I would settle for close to that combination.

What Do you guys use/ suggest?

I like the ease of carrying around a ammeter which is why I really am looking for this combo, if I wasn't I know I could just go for the traditional DMM.

And I'm a Technician, I don't work on anything over 600V

Thanks for the input in advance

They used to make an open jaw current clamp that also functioned as a voltmeter and ohmeter but I can't find it anymore. It was a handy unit for a guy that had to carry one around all day. It's biggest drawback was that it wasn't a great ohmeter and wouldn't measure over 1000 ohms.

I personally generally use a Fluke 179 for a general purpose meter and a 375 for a current clamp (I need to measure DC amps occasionally). My tried and true for years was a Fluke 82 but I like the 179, it does almost as much and is smaller.

Also have a Fluke process meter and a scope meter if needed.

Edit: The 289 combo kit on GIT's ebay site looks like a nice kit for an industrial technician, it is a bit out of the target price range though.

Last edited:
How about the 376 ? I have sold a lot of them... http://www.ebay.com/itm/370822753379

That's not quite the one I was referring to but that looks like it would fit the bill as well. Doesn't have a magnetic clamp but you can use the jaws to clamp on lots of things.

The one I was talking about was dirt cheap and basic. The jaws didn't open and were just a U shape open on the end. I used to buy lots of them for my maintenance staff. If the tech was sharp enough to explain why he needed a more sophisticated meter then I would buy them a better one. :) But for basic voltage, current, and continuity checks they worked fine. As I said the biggest draw back was a pretty crappy ohmeter that wasn't good for much more than continuity.

I just bought one of these recently. I think you can get an add-on current clamp for it.

Mark, you should start selling this one. It's pretty sweet, wireless remote display that has a magnet in it so you can leave the meter in a panel and stick the display to the outside of it.

What is the difference between AC ohms and DC ohms ? ;)

What about mA ? Indispensable for checking analog sensors.
But that normally means a wired input for Amps/mAmps.

I guess I didn't separate well. I meant ac voltage, dc village, and ohms. but I assume you knew what I meant. and yes mA will be ideal

The best one I've had over the years was a Tansy...Radio Shack. I had it forever and liked the layout and readout. After having it for 10 years, I drove over it and it was wrecked...oh well. I'm not a Fluke fan.