Compact Logix and Agilent Multimeter

naduley

I am currently working with a 1769-L32E processor and a 34410a Agilent Multimeter. We need to send the meter a MSG command telling it to take the DC voltage or current and then another MSG to get the results back and analyze them. The problem is that we can't figure out what the appropriate Class, Instance, and Attribute should be used. I'm pretty sure that Agilent doesn't have these specified in any of their manuals and tech support was unsure of what the values are as well. Does anyone know if they are dependent on the message length and if there is some way to derive them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I didn't see "Ethernet IP" mentioned as a protocol in the documentation that I found. Do you have something that states that it has that protocol?

Yes I am able to configure all the ethernet IP settings on the Agilent through their web based service or the device itself. I am communicating with it through my PC atm, but just not sure on how to do it through the PLC and send it messages.

No - I'm talking about the Allen-Bradley based "Ethernet IP" ("Industrial Protocol" not "I/P" as in Internet Protocol). Being able to set it up via an Ethernet connection means nothing about being able to communicate with it from a ControlLogix platform using Ethernet IP.

If it can use Ethernet IP then there will be all the information you seek. Lack of it makes it probable that it doesn't support that protocol.

No I do not believe that it has the Ethernet IP. I don't think anyone has actually been successful in doing this communication before, but I think that there has to be a way because we communicate with our fanuc robots the same way, except fanuc had the information that we needed to configure everthing.

If the meter does not have Ethernet IP, then you are going to have to take a different approach. I don't think you can do what you want with the built in ethernet port, since it is limited to Ethernet IP messages. If your CPU was an L4x model, perhaps the 1768-EWEB module could help you? (I have no experience with this one).

Or a third party device might work in this case:

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/p...omation/platform/compactlogix__1/mvi69_admnet