Multiple SLC Processors 1 rack

Shark13

Is this possible to do on the SLC platform? The reason I ask is I would like to upgrade from a 5/04 to a 5/05 in one machine to get the use of ethernet IP, however the current HMI runs on DH+ I was hoping to avoid buying an additional DH+ to EthernetIP converter.. If 2 processors could be used this would help solve my dilemma.

Simply not possible. An SLC CPU must reside in slot 0.
Rather than an additional DH+ to Ethernet/IP converter, consider replacing the HMI for one with Ethernet.
Everything that has to do with DH+ is getting more difficult to support over time.

SLC racks only have the second receptacle for a CPU in slot 1. [EDIT: Slot 0!!!] Even if you use a -C9 cable to a second rack I don't think it will allow another CPU in the second rack.

Plus, the IO Config won't let a CPU be put in any other slot, and if the IO Config does not match the actual rack the SLC will fault.

Unless there is some back-door workaround someone else here knows of I don't think you will be able to do this.

What I have done before is put a CLX rack in - no CPU - but a DH/RIO card and an Ethernet card. The 2 cards will talk to each other and act as a bridge. This was for a line run on a PLC5/80 that a new PC for the iFix HMI had to be Ethernet and converted from BlueHose.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the replies. I knew there was some catch with the SLC racks as far as processors but I couldn't remember what it was. What I'm actually trying to do is replace the old HMI with a PC based Advanced HMI build that will use ethernet. I just wanted to be able to do it in phases rather than all at once, that way if there was a problem with the new one, the old one was still there for testing and debugging. Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and ask for more downtime to do the project.

Install the SLC5/05 CPU in a spare rack.
Copy the RSLogix project to a "test project".
Adapt the HW configuration to a rack without I/O and load it onto the SLC5/05.
Then simulate the SLC program with the Advanced HMI so that you are 99% sure you have tested and fixed everything.
In this way you can transition as smoothly as possible in real life without the need for a DH+ gateway.

Install the SLC5/05 CPU in a spare rack.
Copy the RSLogix project to a "test project".
Adapt the HW configuration to a rack without I/O and load it onto the SLC5/05.
Then simulate the SLC program with the Advanced HMI so that you are 99% sure you have tested and fixed everything.
In this way you can transition as smoothly as possible in real life without the need for a DH+ gateway.

Thanks, this is probably my best option.

This was stated already but I wanted to make clear for anyone that reads this later......

Slot #0 has two (upper and lower) module backplane connectors, where the remaining slots have only a single (upper) connector. The SLC controller has two plugs that connect to those connectors in slot #0. So while the controller will physically plug in to any slot, that required second (lower) backplane connection is not available.

I used to store several SLC controllers in a single spare chassis (not powered) on a shelf for convenience.

If you connect two chassis (7-slot as an example) with the chassis interconnect cable. The second chassis could physically connect the controller in that first slot, but that is now slot #7 and the SLC controller is only allowed in slot #0.

OG