Need Control Logix Help

Johnny T said:
Maverick,
My advice would be to just do your best. No-one can blame you for anything if you've at least given it your best shot.

If only that were true.....

Best of luck with things man, but I have to agree with the other posters that said to document everything and to CYA (cover your assets).

It sounds like you're being asked to do the impossible with zero support from above. That is a recipe for disaster no matter how hard you try.

And.......................

if the **** does hit the fan

IT WILL MOST CERTAINLY BLOW YOUR WAY

make sure you are covered!

Looks like I don't have to go in until the 13th or 16th.

Thanks for the information, so far. Looks like I will have something to start with, and some time to review it.

The local Allen Bradley shop built the hardware, an out of area company programmed (?) it. An independant contractor design it all, but he bailed halfway through. And I get to make it work.

I sold cars in college. that really wasn't so bad, afterall!

Thanks

M-250

Oh yeah, this new section of plant has been running since 4/18. It is all new to everyone. I asked if there were any spare parts, and everyone laughed.

This will truly be an adventure.

M-250

Steve Bailey said:
Here's the 'Marvin the paranoid android' take on the situation.

It sounds like you're being set up to take the fall for a project gone sour. You can quit now and spare yourself the aggravation or beat your head against a wall for a few weeks and then get fired.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I was hired in as a scapegoat.

Being the new kid (and only kid) on the block isn't any fun.

If I weren't desperate.....

Marvin is welcome anytime....."Boom"

Have been in the old plant, appears to be all AB conventional PLC's, with off brand drives. Machines don't flow real smooth. Current electricians aren't real sharp, plus very short handed. Maintenance last five years has been on a "As Needed" basis. No PM's.

There was "house cleaning", and also a mass exodus.

New plant has all the bells and whistles. One or two Control Logix controlling massive lines, conveyors, and lots of drives.

They gotta at least come up with a PC or a laptop!

They gotta get some spare parts, since the local distributor doesn't stock everything.

They gotta get some more help/ They have been advertising regularly for a while (years).

Wouldn't be the first place I walked out of.

Did I mention desperate?

Thanks for the info, (and phone number).

Walked in unannounced tonight, and wasn't even asked who I was or why I was there. But then, I couldn't get at anything. We'll see what happens Monday.

Maybe it won't be so bad.

Now, to find the contractor who halfway designed this and skipped, want to wing him once or twice at first, then see if he put any safety features in! If I ever did find out who it was, it is very unlikely that I would ever meet him. I engineers who wrote the software, turns out they tried to sell them drives, but lost the order to AB, so I expect the coding not to be 100% there.

I know that there is a AB sales office a few hours away,guess I'll find out if they have tech guys there. The guys who installed it will be no help. A small family run "farmer" electrical contractor (non-union, of course).

Just found out that when all this is running smooth, I get to do it again somewhere else. At least by then, I will have "expert status".

Now, I have to find out how to get into the software, like I actually know what I am doing.

It'll be just fine, just fine, just fine...

OH yes, now to become an expert in Device Net addressing!