Need help during programming in RS logics 500

AB2005

Dears,

I need one suggestion form colleagues for programming in RS logics 500.
The instruction FFL (Fifo Load) accepts only integers in Source and Fifo input fields. If I put floating point there, it is regretted with error. But in my program, I need to load the value of one floating point to the 100 others whenever rung condition is true. Any idea?

đź““

There really is no workaround in the SLC-500 controller; the FIFO and LIFO stack instructions work only with 16-bit integer values and 16-bit integer arrays.

What is the maximum value you need to store ? What is the resolution you need to retain ?

You might choose to work in engineering units of 1 or .1 or .01, and just use a MUL instruction to convert the Floating Point value into an Integer value before placing it into the FIFO.

I need to load the value of one floating point to the 100 others whenever rung condition is true. Any idea?

Does the above mean you want one value to go into all 100 registers? If not disregard this post.
If so try the "FLL" (fill File). You will need two as the max length is 64 for floating point.. See PDF below.

depending on what you want to accomplish, you can probably build your own FIFO instructions using indirect addresses and "pointers" to MOVe the data around ...

give us some specific addresses (example: F8:0 through F8:99 etc.) and tell us EXACTLY what you want to happen and I'm pretty sure that the forum members can put something together for you ...

also ... please tell us EXACTLY what type of PLC platform you're using ... ("RLogix500" covers a lot of territory - and not all platforms will handle all of the number formats) ...

I have been working with SLC 5/05. During our corrugator machine running, I ADD the produced baord meters in a Floating point (by using a measuring wheel's sensor input 1pulse = 0.246meter) say F8:0 which can increase upto 900000. I want that when operator change the order, the value in F8:0 store into another floating point say F8:1. Thus we will save the value of F8:0 during order chnage into 100 floating points (F8:1-100). With this programming, we will be able to calculte the produced quantity of orders. After 100 jobs, system will save the vaue again from F8:1

see if this helps ... I don't have time to document it fully right now, but you should be able to figure out what's going on ... if you have specific questions, post them and we'll see what we can do to answer them for you ...

basically:

the first rung uses "Indirect Addressing" to collect the data into an array ...

the second rung erases any previous data and gets ready to start over again from the top ...

note to former students:

yes, if this looks familiar, it's basically just a simplified version of the "Rocky Road" data collection exercise ...

my_fifo_1.jpg my_fifo_2.jpg

Attachments

• MY_FIFO.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 31
  • My_FIFO_RSS.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 11
Dear Ron Beaufort;

Thank you very much for such a good idea. I can never imagine such kind of programming tip.

Is it possible such programming in RS View32 works? I mean, a floating point input (meter reading) is displayed in RS View32 HMI. When order change initiates, a tag should be ON and that floating point value should be loaded into a memory tag of HMI. So, we will save that floating point value during order change.

Last edited: