Need help identifying a PLC

Stuart1212

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you guys would identify a PLC for me.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/SsPzc

This PLC is out of a controller for a windmill. I have already searched PH_WTCMainV3.2 as well as other variants of that name, and haven't found anything.

I'm hoping to find the company that makes it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You mean a wind-turbine? Is it a Vestas?

Looks like a AB Micrologix 1000 clone made by China.

You are correct. This is for a wind-turbine from China, however it is not a Vestas unit.

Looks like I'll be contacting Allen-Bradley (the real one).

You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Also, if this is a clone of an A-B unit, does that mean I could read whats on this PLC (code/firmware) with A-B's RSLogix?

While the overall footprint looks roughly similar to a MicroLogix 1000, it's a very common form factor for small PLCs.

There is a hatch on the corner that the MicroLogix doesn't have, and terminals that suggest an RS-485 port, and terminals that suggest 12VDC and 5VDC supplies. None of those are MicroLogix 1000 features.

I have never seen a counterfeit MicroLogix controller. I very much doubt this is one.

I said Vestas because they actually bought out a small PLC maker and made it their own. That way if one ever broke you have to pay big bucks to get another one from them.

have you tried to contact the maker of the turbine? Now I think about it, just getting another one won't help unless you have the program and if you do, might as well translate it into a more available PLC.

I said Vestas because they actually bought out a small PLC maker and made it their own. That way if one ever broke you have to pay big bucks to get another one from them.

have you tried to contact the maker of the turbine? Now I think about it, just getting another one won't help unless you have the program and if you do, might as well translate it into a more available PLC.

Getting a more available PLC is my plan. Can you point me towards a tutorial/software that can download the code that is on this PLC? Is that even possible?

EDIT: I guess I should add that I can already communicate with the PLC via an RS232 port

Last edited:
What software are you using to do this?

Its the software that is provided by the turbine company. I use it to set the parameters that control the turbine. Its just a simple GUI with the editable fields.

I guess I'm looking for something that can download the code/logic in the controller.

Its the software that is provided by the turbine company. I use it to set the parameters that control the turbine. Its just a simple GUI with the editable fields.
That sounds like only that you are talking to and making changes on the operator station, which in turn communicates with the programmable controller. To download or upload to/from the PLC, you will have to identify the brand, and buy the programming software from the PLC maker. Only then will you be able to even attempt to view the actual PLC program (if it is not password-protected). Viewing the program may do little good, because it will just be symbols and addresses (no text descriptions, comments, or notes to tell you anything about what it is doing).

You might want to contact the turbine company and find out if they are willing to give you a copy of the PLC operating program (not the software). With a copy of the program, it should have the symbols, descriptions, and comments. It is unlikely that they will give this to you. They might (when mules learn to fly) offer to sell you a copy.

Last edited: