Need help in DCS controllogix communication

Joel201

Good day,

I need help regarding how to communicate a DCS that uses controlnet for their HMI interface and I/O communications. Can the controlnet be used to control the controllogix data bits or do i need to use MODBUS to received data from the DCS. the DCS is using Rockwell controlnet and i am using a 1756-L71 PLC. I am new in DCS and controlnet communications. thanks in advanced for your kind replies.

If the DCS is using ControlNet, it's got to be a Honeywell Experion PKS. They can communicate directly with ControlLogix over ControlNet.

I haven't touched Experion PKS in many years, though, and cannot walk you thorough it. You're going to need somebody local to help.

Thanks for answering my question...
anyways i have one more question if you don't mind sir.

If i use MODBUS in my controllogix for data sending/receiving to the DCS do i still need to connect to the controlnet of the DCS?? thanks in advance for your kind replies

The ControlNet connection isn't necessary if you have some other connection.

I cannot imagine why you would use a slow serial connection like Modbus when a fast, redundant, native connection like ControlNet is available, but I'm sure there are other nontechnical considerations.