Need Help? Interview

c++guru

Hi Buddy's,

I am a software developer. I have worked with embedded systems before 3 years.

I need help regarding an interview which I will face soon. This is a mfg company who needs to hire a programmer for basically PLC programming.

Do you have any ideas of what kind of questions will be asked?

Where can I find information regarding RS232 communication or Siemens, Unitronics and Allen Bradley?

How do I start preparing for this interview?
Please help.......

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes ther are C++ jobs, but I am more passionate about embedded systems. Also this job requires GIS knowledge and I have that. This way I can merge my GIS experiance, programming experiance and embedded systems experiance into one.

The job description requires you to know c++, vb ,GIS softwares etc, but it also requires PLC programming in Unitronics, Allen Bradley or Siemens. Also RS232, Ethernet, modem, wireless communication modes will be an asset.

You could always come clean and state that you don't have any experience in plc programming (your employer will soon find out anyway - and then start wondering about everything you've said at the interview) As long as you show you are willing to learn it will all depend on how much plc programming is required and if there is anyone else already there to share the load as to wether you will get the job.

Simon is right. Coming clean will be the best overall approach. Embedded controls programming is not that functionally different than PLC programming in that both need a knowledge of boolean logic. Instead of trying to fake your way through it, I would suggest trying to show how your previous programming experience might apply to PLC/HMI programming.

I've intereviewed dozen's of engineers/tech's and it is always obvious who is trying to snow me with buzzwords and bogus application stories. The guys I recommend for hire are the ones that tell me up front that they don't know it all, but are willing to learn.

Last edited: