Need help with communication btwn Micrologix 1500 and Nematron hmi

Hey Guys,

I need help with configuring the communications between a micrologix 1500 and a nematron hmi. I'm trying to connect it to channel 1. The plc and hmi work that I have done in the past, the machines have already been established and I just edited them as need. So I need info from the ground up on this!

Thanks in advance

So Viewbuilder can be configured to talk to the Micrologix using the AB DF1 protocol via the RS232 serial port. You'll need the appropriate cable (9 pin d-sub to mini-din, sorry I don't have the p/n handy). You'll need a PLC ladder listing that will tell you which memory addresses the programmer has set up for HMI indicator and push buttons. Objects placed on the HMI screens will have properties that will need the addresses so that they can function with the PLC. That's it in a nut-shell.

Do you have any PLC or HMI experience with these models?

Yes I have PLC experience and my HMI experience is with editing an existing program using an AB Panelview. This is a machine that I am building so I will do all the addressing myself. I just don't know how to configure the HMI to communicate with my PLC.

Whitetail Freak said:
Yes I have PLC experience and my HMI experience is with editing an existing program using an AB Panelview. This is a machine that I am building so I will do all the addressing myself. I just don't know how to configure the HMI to communicate with my PLC.

Nematron has technical support via the phone. A driver to talk to the PLC via DF1/RS232 will be very easy to configure...you'll need to know the baudrate and plc's node address. Just like setting up the driver in the Panelview. That should be it.

Communication parameters of the HMI: PLC Type 1.AB DF1
2.AB DH485

Please explain DF1 and DH485

PLC I/F Port: 1.RS 232
2.DH 485
3.DH 485 2W
4.DH 485 4W

I'm connecting using a serial cable into channel 1 on the plc. Where in RSLOGIX to I configure that channel?

Whitetail Freak said:
Communication parameters of the HMI: PLC Type 1.AB DF1
2.AB DH485

Please explain DF1 and DH485

PLC I/F Port: 1.RS 232
2.DH 485
3.DH 485 2W
4.DH 485 4W

I'm connecting using a serial cable into channel 1 on the plc. Where in RSLOGIX to I configure that channel?

DF1 is a point-to-point protocol used with RS232 signals

DH485 is protocol used in a multi-drop connection with multiple devices connected RS485.

In the RSLogix menu tree on the left of the screen there is a communication parameter entry that allows you to configure each channels properties. By default out of the box, a Micrologix will be configure door DF1 and IIRC 9600 baud but that can be increased to 38.4K.