Need help with micrologix and panelview!!

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello every one, just another lovely Friday brewing at the mill! I got in this morning and had a call right away to look at our flocculent tank in our sludge building. The problem is the AB panel view 300 has a blank screen and doesn't seem to be communicating with the PLC. The PV is powered up but with a blank lit up green screen. The PLC is a micrologix 1200 1762-L24AWA. There is an advanced interface converter connected between the PLC and the PV (1761-NET-AIC). First of all what software do I need to talk to this Micrologix 1200. How do I connect to the PLC. I've never worked with a Micrologix before. Any idea's of what might be happening with the PV? thanks every one

Last edited:
ok perfect I have rslogix 500. and yes I tried re-cycling the power a couple of times and the same problem just a blank lit up screen. right now the PV is connected via the Ethernet port, but I believe there is a rs232 port as well. I'm going to try and go online with the PLC and see if rlinx is communicating to the PV

right now the PV is connected via the Ethernet port

???

The ML1200 does not have an Ethernet port. And a PV 300 does not support Ethernet protocol.

Can you post the complete catalog number of your PV?

Last edited:
The panel view is a Panel view 300-2711-K3A2L1. The micro logix's rs232 8 pin mini DIN port is connected to the 1761-NET-AIC advanced interface converter's 8 pin DIN port. The panel view is connected from its Ethernet port to the DH 485 phoenix plug on the AIC. Is there any way to do a reset on this PV besides cycling the power? Also the computer with rslogix500 is our laptop we use to trouble shoot the SLC 500 plc's. It doesn't have a rs232 9 pin it only has a 15 pin for monitors and such. We have a PCMK card installed on the laptop to communicate to the processor via DH+. Can I use this same cord to talk to the micrologix 1200? would I have to set up a separate DH+ driver for the ML PLC in rslinx?

Last edited:
Your PV supports DH485 protocol. The RJ45 port on the PV is not Ethernet its DH485.

If your PC has a real serial port then you can connect it to the 9 pin port on the AIC with a null-modem cable (1747-CP3) and connect to both the PLC and the PV using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx.
If you don't have a real serial port you will need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) to get connected.

To use your PCMK card you would need the proper cable for a DH485 port 1784-PCM4/B.

I have never seen a SLC500 with a 15 pin port. PLC5 with an Ethernet port, yes.

Last edited:
Ahh I see, I just assumed it was Ethernet because of the connector. My laptop only has a 15 pin serial port, the pcmk card port and of course usb's. I have a cable that goes from 9 pin serial to USB which I tried to plug into the AIC serial port and set up a connection via rslinx but I was trying to use the DF1 protocol which wasn't right. So if I want to connect to the AIC via the 9 pin serial port to usb i'll need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx? Also the cord for the PCMK card is a 1784-pcmb5/B cord will that work and what driver would I use to set up a connection in rslinx.

Sorry I thought you were talking about a SLC500 when you mentioned the 15 pin port.

The 15 pin port on a laptop is for an external monitor as you stated.

In order to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx you need a real serial port on your laptop. A USB to serial adapter will not work with that driver. You need a USB to DH485 converter 1747-UIC. See PDF

1784-pcmb5/B cord will that work and what driver would I use to set up a connection in rslinx

That cable is for DH+ networks it will not work for your DH485 network.

Last edited:
ok so connecting to to AIC isn't possible for me since I don't have a rs-232 serial port on my computer nor the 1747-uic adapter cord.I also have no way of communicating with The mircrologix 1200 comm port because it is a DH-485 which is completely different from a DH+ network. The fact that all the laptops don't have 9 pin serial ports really screws me. I basically cant communicate with this PLC or the AIC interface at all o_O :mad:

You can still communicate with your ML1200 by using the communication toggle push button on the front of the ML1200. This will change the port to its default configuration DF1 protocol. See pdf below.

You can still communicate with your ML1200 by using the communication toggle push button on the front of the ML1200. This will change the port to its default configuration DF1 protocol. See pdf below.

Ok so I have a 8 pin DIN to rs-232, which then goes from rs-232 to USB, should I use that and set up a df1 protocol driver set to the correct comm port?

Ok so I have a 8 pin DIN to rs-232, which then goes from rs-232 to USB, should I use that and set up a df1 protocol driver set to the correct comm port?

Yes, as long as that "8 pin DIN to RS232" is a null-modem cable (1761-CBL-PM02).

Yes, as long as that "8 pin DIN to RS232" is a null-modem cable (1761-CBL-PM02).

well is more of a Frankenstein cord. Its the 8 Pin Mini DIN to rs232 from the 1784-pcmb5/B cord. then from that its a regular generic rs232 male/female cord, then from that its a rs232 to USB cord. basically its a 3 part cord. I just the cord and I couldn't establish a connection in RSLinx. By the way thanks for all your help today, i'm very grateful!

Last edited: