need some help with micrologix 1500 and PV+

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, this is my first project using a panelview + with anything other than controllogix.

I setup my runtime and design connections, and it adds the status tables from the 1500. I am trying to access b3:0/1 but cant seem to figure out how to do it. what syntax do I need to use to get to the bit level?

I am also connecting to the micrologix serial and I dont even have the panelview yet, not sure if that is part of my problem. Can both the design and runtime run simultaneously on the same comm port?

You will have to manually add the bit ".xx" to the word value that is showing in the status.

Yes they can both be defined. They won't run at the 'same time'. When you test a single screen you are using the 'design' setup. If you test the entire project from within Studio you are using the 'runtime'.

Remember also that RSLinx Enterprise, inside FactoryTalk View Studio, is a separate driver from good old RSLinx Classic, which RSLogix 500 uses.

When you're doing serial comms to an SLC and a PanelView Plus, you have to either manually stop and start the two drivers, or use separate COM ports on your PC. I keep a couple of USB/RS232 converters handy for exactly this purpose.

And to affirm Bernie's comment: you can browse to a Word level, but not to a Bit level in FactoryTalk View Studio. The reasons are lost to the mists of time, but as a practical matter you browse to the Word, then manually type ".xx".

Remember also that RSLinx Enterprise, inside FactoryTalk View Studio, is a separate driver from good old RSLinx Classic, which RSLogix 500 uses.

When you're doing serial comms to an SLC and a PanelView Plus, you have to either manually stop and start the two drivers, or use separate COM ports on your PC. I keep a couple of USB/RS232 converters handy for exactly this purpose.

And to affirm Bernie's comment: you can browse to a Word level, but not to a Bit level in FactoryTalk View Studio. The reasons are lost to the mists of time, but as a practical matter you browse to the Word, then manually type ".xx".

thanks ken. Ill give that a shot in the morning. I definitely didnt have a conflict on the comm port because ftview runs in its own vmware.

ok so instead of doing

b3:0/1

I need to do

b3:0.1

that was probably my issue if thats the case.

For what it's worth the B3:0/1 format works just fine. The main issue I have had with a serial connection is downloading the runtime file. I just use a flash card. It's simpler and faster. Also, unless you have made changes to the comm settings, select no when it asks if you want to overwrite communication settings. Maybe it was just a fluke but on one project I was working on I kept overwriting the comm settings everytime I changed the mer file and the comm settings got corrupted. Lost communications to the Micrologix and ended up having to reset the PV to factory default.