Need MPI protocol information

raul_vaze

I need to communicate siemens S7-300(CPU 313C) to a mitsubishi HMI that supports MPI. I have search a lot on net but couldnt find information about MPI protocol . Somewhere i read that MPI is similar to Profibus but is it so ???
Can somebody please give me link for MPI manual download and also MPI port pinout details for S7-300(CPU 313C)

If the Mitsubishe HMI supports Siemens MPI protocol, then you do not have to worry about intricate details about the protocol. Only baud rate (almost always 187.5k) and Station addresses (typically "1" for the HMI, and "2" for the S7 PLC) have to be specified.

As to the cable, then there are two scenarios:

1. The Mitsubishi HMI supports MPI directly on a female DSUB-9 port.
In that case you can add a straight serial cable between the panel and the S7 PLC.

2. The mitsubishi HMI do not support MPI directly, but requires a socalled PC-adapter or a HMI-adapter. Between these and the panel a crossed serial cable must be used. The port on the panel will be a male DSUB-9.
The PC-Adapter or HMI-Adapter is typically purchased separately.

You have to read up in the Mitsubishi manuals for the panel which scenario fits your case.

If the Mitsubishe HMI supports Siemens MPI protocol, then you do not have to worry about intricate details about the protocol. Only baud rate (almost always 187.5k) and Station addresses (typically "1" for the HMI, and "2" for the S7 PLC) have to be specified.

As to the cable, then there are two scenarios:

1. The Mitsubishi HMI supports MPI directly on a female DSUB-9 port.
In that case you can add a straight serial cable between the panel and the S7 PLC.

2. The mitsubishi HMI do not support MPI directly, but requires a socalled PC-adapter or a HMI-adapter. Between these and the panel a crossed serial cable must be used. The port on the panel will be a male DSUB-9.
The PC-Adapter or HMI-Adapter is typically purchased separately.

You have to read up in the Mitsubishi manuals for the panel which scenario fits your case.

Hi JeserMP,

Thanks for your help , but it seems that mitsubishi HMI do support MPI directly and as said by you i will need a straight cable so what will be pin configuration for it . What will be the pin numbers that will be useful at both ends.

If it does not support MPI directly, then you need a PC adapter or a HMI adpater, and a standard crossed serial cable between panel and adapter.
Just as I said in the previous post.

If it does not support MPI directly, then you need a PC adapter or a HMI adpater, and a standard crossed serial cable between panel and adapter.
Just as I said in the previous post.

Hi JesserMP,

I have said that it supports MPI directly and hence i require the pinout details for the straight cable at both ends