Need Program Software for Modicon 884

xerocomm

Hi everyone, I just spent the last 3 days searching for the DOS based software for the Modicon 884 and came up with two solutions both will cost me over $1800! Modicon directly or FasTrack.

We have a Modicon 884 PLC and we need to upload the backup file since the line is down. This has happened several times over the years, we reload and everything is fine, except this time. I went to boot up the PC and the hard drive failed. I was able to get back to DOS but realized I have no disks and since this is my responsibility, it has been made clear to me that I fix it quickly and out of my pocket if the software needs to be purchased.šŸ™ƒ

Long story, I just need a solution! Help!

I need the Modicon 884 Gould PCD Programs: 884 Operations, 884 Ladder Listener, 884 ASCII Programmer, 884 Load/Record, Verify, etc.

I would love to borrow the disks or give me an FTP Location where I can download the disks. I can also provide anyone a FTP site if needed to securly upload the needed files to our FTP Server.šŸ““

Please contact me through this forum or directly at [email protected]

Thank you!

Last edited:
Any ideas would be welcome. I would even buy used software if I can be guaranteed it would function in DOS and program the 884 Modicon 884 PLC. Thanks!

An alternative would be to find a consultant in your area who can provide you with the needed reload services when necessary - that might be a lot more economical than purchasing the software and better than having a line down.

Unfortunately for Modicon, there is not a decent software package on the market today. I have both the Modicon software and the FasTrack software. The Modicon software for windows is ridiculously buggy and the FasTrack software is prone to blue screens.

The FasTrack software probably won't be much help at all if your PLC has crashed, it can't import other files, you have to upload from the PLC, and that means a valid program must be in PLC memory.

Its also probably time to start thinking about replacing that 884 - those haven't been manufactured for a couple of decades. Think of it as a vital strategic business decision.

Just asking...but did you by chance "image" your HD at any point in the last 10 years?
If so, restore and there you have it.
(Not trying to ridicule your situation at all) I know how things can get.
But, after you purchase and setup your PC, IMAGE it.

The other thing that you can do is pull the HD, and purchase a USB-IDE converter, for about $20 bucks.
Plug it all together, and you might be able to salvage all of the exe files, as well as any data that you may need.
I have had to do this on more than one occasion, and is bitter sweet when the sweat is rolling down your face at 11PM at night!

No, the odd part is that this issue has been placed in my lap, that is my fault so to speak. I have imaged every line and was made responsible for this line when it went down. This PC was never backup, never. I use Acronis true image regularly, so thatnk you for the idea. I will be sure to image the drive when we are back online.

I want to be clear. I DO NOT want "Free" or "Back door" software. My two options given to me by Modicom were not with a guarantee to work, so I have a hard time spending $1500 to $2000 on software that "may not solve my problem". So I am sending our this request, not to get free software, it is to get us back online. Also, I want to be clear, we own several "licenses" for the software, legally registered. The disks that were supplied were the old "floppy" disks, they do not work and the backup copies were lost. We paid several tens of thousands originally and our poor managment placed us in this path.

I agree, we need to upgrade but we are in the middle of a large asset sale and no major purchases are allowed until the sale is complete. Kinda odd when we are the largest packaging vendor in the world! Tells us about the state of our economy.

I would love a copy of the original software which we legally hold liceses to - I am willing to pay for the software a second time if we have to, just give me a solution.

Thanks!

dos modsoft

If I understand you correctly, you have a backup of the PLC program but not modsoft to load it the PLC. Is this correct?

FRW

So you have the ladder logix file(s) for the 884 on another computer, right ?

Just the PC that had the programming software crashed ?

But you also say that you can get to DOS on that PC that has the programming software ? If so, then copy the Modsoft program files & directory structure to another PC (check config.sys & autoexec.bat for path & other needed entries) and you are good to go. All that an install program would do is copy the files and setup the path. Nothing special like it would be with a Windows Setup application.

I'll take a look to see if I have the Modsoft disks that do 884. I have them (somewhere) for 984 and have that installed on an old laptop.

What we have is the following:

1) DOS PC with no Modsoft 884 software modules
2) Modsoft 884 License (Paper)
3) Tape drive that was used as a backup for the 884 PLC (I believe)

We do have a few tapes but I spoke to the company that bought Modsoft Schneider Electric and they state that I need the older DOS version to read my tapes. FasTrack will not read the tape backup, only the older DOS versions will read the tape.

Thank you!

So you have the ladder logix file(s) for the 884 on another computer, right ?

Just the PC that had the programming software crashed ?

But you also say that you can get to DOS on that PC that has the programming software ? If so, then copy the Modsoft program files & directory structure to another PC (check config.sys & autoexec.bat for path & other needed entries) and you are good to go. All that an install program would do is copy the files and setup the path. Nothing special like it would be with a Windows Setup application.

I'll take a look to see if I have the Modsoft disks that do 884. I have them (somewhere) for 984 and have that installed on an old laptop.

I was only able to recover the DOS files, I lost the data files. I was able to recover the "core" Modsoft software but I have lost all the modules. The "core" software is menu's only, none of the other important directories were recovered, so when I select a menu option nothing happens.

If you have the disks, I would be happy to pay for them, I just need this line back in operation. Our local Modsoft provider has nothing that will work, I just got off the phone.

If I understand you correctly, you have a backup of the PLC program but not modsoft to load it the PLC. Is this correct?

FRW

Yes, you are correct. It was general practice to backup the running program in the PLC but I guess no one though to backup the Modsoft discs. Remember, this was bought in a time back when "backup" was not stressed. The engineer taking care of the line was no computer expert either.