Need some help/recommendations upgrading our drive system on a machine

skamaniac

Hey, I could really use some help as I am in the process of trying to rebuild one of our main machines to be more reliable and serviceable. The machine takes wire and forms it into a certain shape.. pretty basic.

I am looking to replace the motor & drive system. It currently has a old Parvex motor and drive and a semi-old Baldor Smartmove controller with basic interface. The Parvex drive has had some odd issues and hasn't been made in a long time. So I am just thinking about replacing it all with newer components from an American company. Here is the info on the parts:

Motor: http://www.parvex.com/fichesmot/english/ld/ld630ek.pdf

Drive: Parvex BTM 15/30 .. Don't have a web page with data.

SmartMove: http://www.baldor.com/downloads/manuals/_downloads/1250-698.pdf

Anyway, hopefully someone here has worked with some of these items and can maybe recommend a replacement for me. Maybe Anaheim Automation or Automation Direct.. And if anyone is in the SoCal area and wants to come look at the machine and quote a retrofit... I wouldn't mind that either. Thanks!

Aaron

Aaron

Seems to me if this machine was put together in 98 it is time for an overhaul. I would:
1. Use data from existing setup under production conditions to set baseline for replacement equipment. This would include motor amps voltage speed etc. Probably would use a data logger to record.
2. Once you have motors pulled out use a torque wrench on driven shaft to measure torque demand. The measured value should come close say 5% to that you calculated from work done in #1.
3. Go thru machine and check gearboxes, bearings, leadscrews. Adjust back to tolerance or replace as needed.
4. Assuming (gross assumption maybe) you know nothing of drives and how to setup the controls and make them talk with each other I would have at least two LOCAL outfits come in and take a look and advise. I say local because if you get stuck AND factory / vendor support is 2000 miles away it can be difficult to explain problem - if they can do a look see then often that is a much easier game.
5. I would also ensure motors are from one of the big USA motor makers and ideally stocked ON SHELF by a local outfit so you can get new one in a day.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Dan,

seems to be a trend with everything nowadays.
NOTHING is On the shelf anymore.
Everybody is cutting down costs by reducing their inventory to No inventory.
Even big names vendors.

Dan,

seems to be a trend with everything nowadays.
NOTHING is On the shelf anymore.
Everybody is cutting down costs by reducing their inventory to No inventory. Even big names vendors.

Yeah so I have noticed - as I said IDEALLY. Then there is the inventory tax like we have around here. And people wonder why distributors keep little on shelves.

Dan Bentler

I would go with emmerson/Control techniques unidrives. Then you can take out the PLC and have everything controlled by the drives. got some motion control in built also which works well

I am not local. If you don't get any body let me know I am interested in the work.

Jeff, do have experience with these components that we are using? Do have a number I can contact you at? Thanks!