Need some wonderware guidance

There were several that had been disabled and netdde was one of them, I feel a little silly but I guess thinking that suitelink was taking care of the transactions and didn't look at running services because it worked partially and only died when both computers were looking at the same i/o server.

Here's a quick note to anyone who might need this information. And let me know if this is common knowledge. If you type "net start" on the command line without a parameter, it will list all running services on the computer without having to screw around with the MMC snap in to see what's running.

Thanks again

Marc

Marc,

I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this but there's an issue we ran into with DDE on XP.

When we first moved our WW Intouch apps to XP we found that occassionaly the connections would fail and nothing we did would revise them except deleting and recreating the *|* share and it's associated permissions. We eventually found that switching users would crash NetDDE.

Originally we limited the rights of the operator user account and would switch to the admin account to do any high end stuff. Now, because of this DDE issue, we've given the operator account full local admin priveledges so we no longer have to log off that account. I know that's a no-no to some, but here it's not an issue. No more dropped DDE, or should I say, a lot less.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip wildswing. I'll check this effect next time I am on site.

Are the DA servers any more reliable than the I/O servers. Or is it all just Netdde underneath?

I was looking into the DA server a little but since there was not a lot of time alloted to this project I did not have adequate time to set one up and try it. Couldn't quite figure out how to establish tag names in the DA server.

When the PLC programs were written, they did not use symbol names or when they did, the symbols do not match the wonderware tag names.

The current setup uses a user login and an admin login (but I am pretty sure every user knows the admin password) since the system has been in place since 1992? (originally in InView application)

Marc

Marc,

It's hard for me to tell if the AB CIP DAServer is more reliable than the old KT card IO Server, since we changed PC boxes, Intouch versions, lost the KT cards and went to CLX bridges. Everything changed. If we had just changed servers I'd be in a better position to answer that. For what it's worth, we do have more timeouts and interruptions now. The simple KT card setup was bullet proof compared to our new set up.