Need suggestions for inspecting teak wood.

nandman

Hi,
I was trying to inspect teak wood (This one is imported, don't know the exact origin). But it seems that the wood is absorbing Penetrants, Is their any way to inspect the wood using penetrant inspection method?

regards
NM

I didn't think you could use the penetrant method on anything that was porous. For the reasons you are having issues currently (it absorbs the penetrant).

I've never tried using a penetrant inspection method in a production capacity. It's always been just one off tests on the bench type thing. So I can offer little in terms of solutions.

Just for my own curiosity, which issue does the absorption cause?

When the material absorbs the penetrant, can you no longer see the defect areas, because the penetrant is gone?

Or

When the material absorbs the penetrant, do areas that are not defective show up as defect due to the presence of the absorbed penetrant?

Or maybe it's just a combination of both?