NET-ENI to SLC and PanelView 1000

Bhicks31

We are trying to get a SLC 500 talking ethernet. We have a SLC 503 and it has communicating on it via 485 a PanelView 1000. We have been able to establish communication via channel 0 through the ENI card but can not seem to get anything through to the panelview. Are we attempting something that is not possible to do with just a ENI interface. If it isnt possible with a ENI interface card what would some other options be? Our end result we are looking for is to get both the processor and the panelview on ethernet accessible via virtual machine on a network.

To be clear you are trying to passthru the SLC's serial port to it's DH485 port?

If so have you configured the SLC5/03 for passthru communcation? See PDF below.

Note: I don't if you can passthru using a NET-ENI. Hopefully someone who has tried this will jump in.

Hi,
If you are you looking to up/download projects to/from PV1000, then yes it is possible using DF1-DH485 pass-thru with an ENI on the chan0 side. I have an SLC 5/03, NET-ENI, couple of NET-AIC+ and a PV1000 right beside me on a test board in our workshop. They are not all connected up at the moment as per your setup, but I had them working exactly that way a few months ago. I could see the PV in RSLinx & up/download to/from it no problems.
The SLC 5/03 must be configured, as Mickey stated, for pass thru comms. I was going to attach some docs, but he's given you all the reading material you'll need to set it up, although that pass thru pdf is a mouthful!
If you're having trouble, let me know & I'll try set it up again to assist you.

Ok I had to upgrade my 5/03 to a new firmware. Have that completed and have made the changes and can now see the PV1000 while I am hooked up to the PLC via DF1 to my PC. I can make changes to the PV1000 in this mode. I am trying now to get it to show up going through the ENI card. Once I route the PLC DF1 to the ENI card the only thing I can see is the PLC. Can not communicate to the PV1000. Are there some settings I need to change to make it show up going throught the ENI card?

Are you using one of the Ethernet drivers in RSLinx Classic, or are you using an RS-232 Devices (DF1) driver with the COM Port Redirector feature of the 1761-NET-ENI ?

I do not have direct experience with this setup, but what I know about the DF1->DH485 Passthrough and the 1761-NET-ENI module says that the second method (COM Port Redirector) is the only method that could theoretically work.

Ok I have had some time to try this again. I can not get it to work. If I connect to the SLC via DF1 I can see the panel view and the slc. If I connect to the NET ENI I can see the SLC but cannot see the panelview. I think it might have something to do with my driver in RSLinx but I am not sure. Reaching for straws right now, anyone have any suggestions?

When you use the Ethernet Devices or the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic, the serial side of the 1761-NET-ENI can only talk to one device because it uses the DF1 Full Duplex protocol in true "point to point" fashion. It doesn't matter if the device on the other end has passthrough enabled or not: only "Node 1" will ever show up in the browse or respond to messages.

When you connect to the SLC-5/03 serial port and use an RS-232 Devices driver in RSLinx Classic, you have the option to set it up as a "KF3/KE" device type. This makes RSLinx run DF1 Full Duplex protocol in "multipoint" fashion, where it attempts to talk to Node numbers 0 through 31. If you have DF1/DH485 Passthru configured, this is what lets you browse the DH485 network on the networking port of the SLC-5/03.

The "DF1 Redirector" feature I referred to in October changes the way you use the 1761-NET-ENI. Instead of using the Ethernet driver, the DF1 Redirector creates an "IP Tunnel" and "Virtual COM Port".

You then use the RS-232 Devices driver in RSLinx, and connect to the virtual COM port. The Redirector service takes any requests to that virtual COM port and pipes them across Ethernet to the Net-ENI, where they are handles by the physical serial port on that device. This is the way most ordinary inexpensive "Ethernet to serial" devices work.

Only the later 1761-NET-ENI modules supported this feature; I think it was in Series D, but it might have been in Series E. The user manuals should describe how it's set up.

The NET-ENI I have is a Series D and from what I read should be able to do what you are talking about. I however can't figure out how to set that DF1 Redirector driver up in RSLinx.

RSLinx Classic considers the virtual COM port created by the COM Port Redirector to function like an ordinary serial port.

Use a DF1 RS-232 Devices driver just like you would with a local COM port, but configured for the COMx port number of the virtual COM port.

The virtual COM port should show up in your computer's Device Manager in the Ports section. Often it's COM5, but you should check to be sure.

Another detail: the "Autoconfig" feature probably won't work with a virtual serial port. Set up the serial framing and speed and error checking manually.