Network and computer systems

Densam

Hi i had a problem with my vlan the other day. Could nort see several of my clients and plcs. I eventually got to the root of the problem by following net work cables fro the plc to the switch, fiber to the switch in the sever room. No comms light so though i was cleaver switched from one port to another. My plcs worked but the other associated printers and clients strted behaving funny. at 1 am in the morning there was not an it person at hand to do the configerations.rt was done for 8 hours. I could have done something. What adminitration courses to you recommend for a ocntrol engingineer. Thanks

CCNA (Cisco) if your organization has a training budget. Otherwise Network+ by CompTIA - but you can learn what matters on your own with a book or hanging out with IT folks.

Most control guys have fought with their home router and switches to serve as a starting point to the joys of networking.

Ccna

Thanks Surferb i have strted looking at books to familiarise myself with networking. There are loads my head is about to pope. i will try the company if i fail comptia or something. If pointed well i will definitely try to work my way to learn this. Any books recommendations? Thanks in advance

While you're in there, record for yourself a network cabling/fiber drawing with those IP addresses if they're fixed. Write down the part numbers of the hardware switches, to be googled up later. Demand admin level rights to those which are plugged into your PLC and HMI hardware. This is critical with Logix5000 controllers and Ethernet/IP I/O. Either that or IT supports them 24/7.

I was in your shoes six years ago, and I got more from reading the literature from our Hirschmann RS20 switches (after a basic understanding of IP addressing, masks and sub-nets as applied to our devices) and then using their browser based management tools to configure and monitor them, and well as save and restore settings.

I still know little about the IT side of networking, but enough about basic command line operations, the nature of Ethernet traffic and switches and configuring them to find faults and keep things working well.

Also, don't be skeered of the title, download and run wireshark.

Last edited:
Network

Thanks guys, I have started line drawing and reading from kepware site. Most of our stuff is Cisco and hirschmann in some places. Thanks again