Network Time Sync for ControlLogix

andydaoust

Hey Everyone,

The boss wants me to figure out how to get the ControlLogix to set it's time to our plant network time. I haven't a clue as to how to start. We have an IRIG that sets the time for the plant network. The HMI's (Wonderware) currently have the time. Any hints on where I can begin?

Thanks,

Andy

I don't have WW around but the info below should get you started:

1. Check out the SSV instruction.
2. Read AB knowledge base article A86632868 (just the pertinent part)
3. Make a WW script that activate once a while (once a day sound good).

Cheers!

Thanks, I'll look into your sugesstions.

Since I posted I found some information, G20246 - Getting or Setting a ControlLogix processors Date and Time Clock remotely, on AB's website.

It uses the MSG command and the CIP. I'll work on it some. I don't have a way to test it unfortunatly until the unit comes down.

Andy

A site I work at developed a VB program that monitors all controllers time, date and battery status. The time is compared to domain time and corrected if necessary. This keeps all computers, HMIs and controllers time in sync.

A-B makes (and sells) program called CHORNOS
See A43933517: Synchronizing Processor Clocks via a Computer
It send CIP message to different PLCs if requested.

This may be irrevelant to your application, but in ours, we have a data concentrator that is time synch'd with our WW app (done via scripting from the HMI). At a certain time, we send a pulse to the PLC which in turn sets the PLC clock (from within the PLC) at a known time. So for example, at 11:59 the HMI sends the time synch pulse to the PLC. When the PLC gets the pulse, it sets the time to 11:59. This works with both the PLC5 and the ControlLogix. The programming within the respective processors is not quite the same, but the methodology is.

How close do you want to be? Same second, millisecond, nanosecond?

Oakley's method will work well, if you only need to get the clocks to the same minute/second. We use a variation of it. The HMI actually delivers the system time to the PLC and sends a trigger. The PLC resets the trigger by itself.

We tried Chronos before going to this method. I'm not sure what the issue was.

AK