New laptop and no serial port

sparko

Hi
My boss has just got us a new laptop. Unfortunately the old one had a serial port and the new one does not.

It's mainly used to connect to mitsubishi FX and AB micrologix PLCs.

I've got it working with a USB serial converter and have got it working OK but it is very slow compared to the old Win98 system.

Is this normal(I presume there is some additional translating that goes on now rather than before it was direct connect)

Thanks

Mike

PS this is the converter we have

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...od=searchProducts&searchTerm=550170&x=18&y=19

Thanks Mickey...

sparko, I have used the Keyspan with Mitsubishi's and Allen Bradley's and it works great, but I would think that you may have something set up wrong with your adapter... if it works it should be OK and should be faster then your old PC, I do not know that adapter but you should have some speed settings?, look in you advanced properties in your device manager.

Regards
Mark

Thanks guys I am in work tonight so will have a look at the advanced settings.

Should I just set whatever option is there to the highest speed?

I have just used an Adam (Advantech) 4561 with great succes with PLCs that are 'cranky' (as are most) about which USB/232/422/485 converter you use. This device is an isolated type and has connections for 232/422/485 - plug in screw terminals - and worked first time with the PLC software and Citect on an RS422 connection.
One of the things I like about the device is that it is isolated - no ground loop problems or the possibility of blown up ports. Have seen that before sevaral times with Red Lion screens and an NEC laptop. Not nmine fortunately.
Have not tried it on RS232 yet - that is the next step.
May be worth a look.

I would not... (it may be too fast and give you issues) try 19200 if thats an option, that should be a good speed for both.
I run all my Omron stuff these days from CX-Programmer @ 115k - and it is still slow. Ethernat is pretty good though for speed.

Does your new computer have a PCMIA slot? There are several adapters for this port.

Yes or a ExpressCard

That is the only way to get a "REAL" RS232 port. It just works ! But buy the rigth one see below.

from http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=46065&page=3 Number #40
Hi for my new Dell i did buy a ExpressCard/34 with a RS232 serielport.

But the first one did not work that was internal a ExpressCard to usb and then usb to RS232 :-(

So look for one with a 16C950 comp. UART that will work

Just for the record i did buy this one http://danbit.dk/produkter/0902.phtml EXP3-1RS232

Gave away Express card serial ports - they fall out of the slot - do not lock in tightly.

OK ,I have just finished playing around with the various settings. I took the settings off the old laptop and compared them to the new. The only difference is flow control was set to none on the new and xon/xoff on the old so I changed that.

Now when connecting to the mitsubishi FXPLCs it is pretty much the same as on the old. I've tried playing with the speed but anything above 9600 causes it to stop and start.

On the AB micrologix it is hit and miss whether it works and then it will lose comms after 5 or so minutes.

I've done a few searches on here and Mickey has also mentioned the keyspan adaptor. I think I am going to give that a try.

Can someone just please confirm that this is the one I need

http://www.dabs.com/products/keyspan-usb-high-speed-serial-adapter-3F5G.html

Thanks again

Mike

Can someone just please confirm that this is the one I need

Thats it... I think you will like it, it also has a few more features that a lot of others adapters do not have.