Need laptop with serial port

king nero

I need a new laptop, but found very little that still have a real serial port.

For the Siemens Step 7 software, is it really necesarry to have a com port, or would a USB-to-serial device work?

SL0707-078_large.gif

This would be a more reliable option than any USB-serial converter.

http://www.socketserial.com/product.htm

This would be a more reliable option than any USB-serial converter.
As long as the darn thing stays in the slot! Gave them away as they keep falling out of the slot in the laptop.
Gone back to USB/232 converters.

Try these.... We're slowly changing over to them and have had a good run. Whilst USB to serial converters are getting better, there's still no substitute for a real serial port if you can get one.

Clients who we've recommended them to are also happy..

Also available with 3G modems built in if required.

Cheers,
Muz

You can just buy a USB-MPI cable....

I have a few PCMCIA (MPI/Profibus) cards that work good

or.... Not sure what you think about eBay but I just bought a Dell D630 and it has a real seial port and it cost about the same as the PCMCIA card :)

I'll recommend an ebay Dell D830.

They are the great all around for our business I think. Serial, PCMCIA, ExpressCard slot and it will probably still come with XP. Get a high end dual core version and you'll be good for a few more years.

I have HP 6730b. Serial port is included and i have installed XP to it.
I use daily; Step 7, Wincc flexible 2008 + microwin and everything is running fine...

As long as the darn thing stays in the slot! Gave them away as they keep falling out of the slot in the laptop.
Gone back to USB/232 converters.

Well, I actually have a different problem: once I have put the thing in the slot, I cannot get it out - it just stays there, too tight. That is a ThinkPad T61.

I kind of thought these PCMCIA/PC Card slots were standardized long time ago.

I have HP 6730b. Serial port is included and i have installed XP to it.
I use daily; Step 7, Wincc flexible 2008 + microwin and everything is running fine...

got the same pc and so far so good. Got vista and 98 running on it throught simulator and the port works fine on both for all my plc's.

I have a new (sort of) machine with most of my stuff on it and no serial port.
I also went to computer store and had the guy look in the back room for a "95" machine. It has a real serial port and I can also boot up DOS. I have some customers that still run old PLCs and Screens.