Need help on new laptop

PLC newbe351

Hi guys,

I am at the point now that i can ask the company for a new lap top.

The one i have now is slower than (you know) and memory is maxed.

But as the name implies i am new and have never spec'd a computer for programming.

What to you guy's ask for out of a good programming computer?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am at the point now that i can ask the company for a new lap top.

The one i have now is slower than (you know) and memory is maxed.

But as the name implies i am new and have never spec'd a computer for programming.

What to you guy's ask for out of a good programming computer?

Thanks
Dell still offers their Latitude series with Vista but an optional XP Pro downgrade.
D830 is sharp.
Serial port included (big plus).
Dual core, 4G of memory, 160G hard drive, PCMCIA card slot, good graphics card and wireless.
I do use 2 for work, haven't had any issues.
I also use a D820.
Only issue I have is their antivirus, annoying and it takes forever to boot up but I'm sure your IT people can wipe it out in a jiffy.

Another Dell D830 user who gives a thumbs up. Serial port is a plus for this work.

Also have an XPS M1530 which is a great laptop, no serial port on it though, luckily I don't have to deal with many AB DH485 networks which need a 1747-UIC, so I use the XPS most of the time.

The widescreen is a bonus too for ladder logix, you can spread things out a bit more...

Checked out the DEll site. looks like the D820 and 30 is no longer available. Any other suggestions? And what do you think about Vista?
Since you are ordering the D830 as a business and not an individual, you should check their business/small business site.
You can also order via phone so I recommend your boss call Dell and arrange it.

Since you are ordering the D830 as a business and not an individual, you should check their business/small business site.
You can also order via phone so I recommend your boss call Dell and arrange it.

My boss is pretty mutch letting me pick what i want as long as i don't spend to mutch money. Main thing i will be running S7, Win CC flex And starter. Wonder what operating system they will like best?

You can still get a Dell Latitude D630. Not quite the beast as the D830, but still has a built in serial port.

The new E-series Latitudes offer a legacy expansion module for the docking port that gives you a serial port.

I use a D630 with XP Professional and it works very well.

Mostly on AB Compact/ControlLogix, but the serial port is good for our smaller RSLogix500 processors too.

I would recommend it... unless you could get a newer model.

How many of you would consider a netbook? I am somewhat enamored of the Asus Aspire series (1 G Ram, 160G HD, 8.9" screen).

It seems to appeal to my Control Cabinet Anorexia...

TM
Most netbooks aim for a goal of cheap, not necessarily just small. Cheap and slow processors, small and slow hard drive, limited ports, and a bare minimum of RAM. I think I'll keep using my 3 year old Dell D610 until it dies. It's a business class model, so it's made of a sturdy frame, parts are cheap and easy to come by, and plenty of ports for what I need.

If small were a criteria, I think I'd still would want to spend a few more bucks and just get a smaller business class laptop (Dell Latitude, Thinkpad, some Compaqs, etc).

That being said, if you are the type to forget or destroy things, there is a lot to be said about the disposableness of a netbook.

I would recomend the Dell Latitude, it has a serial port and is quite robust, I have dropped mine a couple of times.
Microsoft XP, NOT Vista for the operating system
Microsoft Office is also nice to have Word, Excel & Access
Roy

Good point about Excel and Word, I end up using those a lot to document projects. Save from having to dump everything onto my desktop.

Plus wireless is nice. Nothing like being able to print out a screen shot to the network printer without having to disconnect the ethernet from the machine you are working on.

Sounds like everyone likes the lititude for the most part. What is the problem with Vista? Just so i sound like i know when i explain it to my boss. Thanks for all the help.

most software packages with regards to PLC's etc don't work properly on Vista plus its an extremely unstable system compared to XP pro

I use a Dell Vostro 'beast'. Fast, heaps of memory and a 17" WUXGA widescreen - great for programming - screen is superb. I also run Vista as all my Omron software is Vista compliant. For legacy stuff (the manufacturer has been too lazy to make it Vista compliant) I run XP-Pro inside Virtual Box and have had no problems so far but have not tried with Siemens or AB. I have an old laptop for that but will try one day when there is time.
Vista plus its an extremely unstable system compared to XP pro
I do not agree and have found Vista far more stable for me than XP Pro ever was. Just turen off UAC as it is an absolutre pain. I also turn off Windows firewall and Defender and use NOD32 suite, Spyware Doctor and Registery Mechanic.