New Laptops with built in Serial Port

Dell does not make the D820s and D830s anymore, though you can buy them used from Dell at http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/.

For brand new laptops, your only real option is the Dell Latitude E5500 and E5510. Also, if you can find a laptop with a real, honest to God PCMCIA slot there are cards you can buy that are effectively hardware serial ports.

I'll second the Panasonic Toughbook, I've had the semi-rugged model (CF-52, a lot cheaper than the fully rugged) for 10 months without a single problem, and no need to have a laptop bag anymore.

I'll second the Panasonic Toughbook, I've had the semi-rugged model (CF-52, a lot cheaper than the fully rugged) for 10 months without a single problem, and no need to have a laptop bag anymore.

What about your cords? I need two bags one for my laptop and one for my cords. I only have about 42 of them. :p

we just bought a Fujitsu ebook serie but you pay your serial port a little bit expensive compared to a standard laptop...

full size PCMCIA port also....some may need it too

but it is a must for us to still have serial port even these days...

laptop with serial port and PCMCIA

I used Toshiba tecra M10 series without any problem, PCMCIA and serial port available, originally loaded with windows7 but downgraded to XP sp3. I also recomend fujitsu Lifebook E series,

Is it a must to have a serial port these days? Surely it isn't! I thought at the rawest level it's only 0's and 1's.

I use a (AU$40) Dontronics USB converter. At the old end of the scale I plug into our TI555 (Siemens) TiSoft programed PLC, a number of S5's using IBH software and even the old Mitsi F series using Medoc software. As well as all our later PLC's including USB to RS232 then out to TTY, PPI, MPI, DF-1, RS-422 etc.

I have however had big problems with a cheap E-Bay converter.