New Mechatronics Instructor

Rdyer0007

Good Morning

I'm the new Mechatronics instructor at Norfolk Technical Center.

I have 10 (1747-Demo-3 SLC 500) trainers in the lab with Hand-Held Terminals (HHT). Specification for units are;

(1747-Demo-3): Modular hardware style demonstration unit with Modular Controller Catalog Number 1747-L524, AC I/O (Catalog Numbers 1746-A4, -IA8, -IA4, and -OW8) and a chassis-mount power supply (Catalog Number 1746-P1). Demo Unit plugs into 120VAC grounded outlet. Includes:
6 selector switches
6 momentary contact push buttons
8 pilot lights

I'm looking for any training and or lessons I can use with the units. I've done some research, but these units are rather old and most of what I've found is for the 1747-Demo-7 units and they don't use the HHT.

I also have a two other trainers as follows

1. NIDA Trainer Model 5050 with an AB PLC currently unable to get catalog numbers without tearing the whole unit apart.

2. Future Tech Trainer with AB PLC
Power supply 1747-P1
Processor 1747-L531
Output 1747-OA8
Output 1747-OW8
Input 1747-IA8

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

http://accautomation.ca/building-a-plc-program-that-you-can-be-proud-of-part-1/

This series takes you through using discrete inputs and outputs to control traffic lights and cylinders. As we progress we introduce additional methods to solve logic. We look at sequencers in a new way and learn how to write programs to allow users to teach the new sequence.

Although it does not specifically deal with the hardware you have, it can be adapted.

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

You may have to create your own lessons. As you stated the HHT is rather old and I do not know of anyone using them for training classes. Most classes for the SLC 500 platform use the RSLogix 500 software on a laptop computer.

I'm the new Mechatronics instructor at Norfolk Technical Center.

Im sure you guys have a RSLogix 500 license, if not contact your local Rockwell dealer and check with them

You need to get rid of the HHT's and use PC's with RSLogix 500 software... send me a PM or email and I will send you some lessons (free) that we sell, should help get you going, if you keep the CPU 5/02's you will also need some cables and I can help with them

Better yet... you may just want to give me a call and we can talk about your options

Best of luck
Mark

first question:

does your school have an "advisory committee" for this program? ... specifically, several members from your local industries – who meet every few months to give "direction" to the school as to what subjects your programs need to include – and specifically what hardware and software you will need in order to meet the needs of your local industries ...

if you don't have such a committee, get busy setting one up ...

if you do have a committee - call a meeting – and show them the equipment that you currently have – and ask them for their opinions on how to build up an "effective" training program ...

TIP: (just in case no one has pointed this out to you) ... the STUDENTS at the tech school are NOT your customers ... your CUSTOMERS are actually the local industries who are expecting you to turn out qualified workers to help keep their plants in operation (and making money) ... the STATE GOVERNMENT funnels money into the tech school with the understanding that for every dollar that they put IN – they expect to get back 10 – 15 – 20 dollars (they have a formula) back OUT – in the form of TAXES which the local industries – and the students – will pay as productive members of the local society ...

(incidentally, this concept explains why an "out-of-state" student pays a MUCH higher price to take the same classes that a "local" student pays ... in short, the folks with the money assume that the out-of-state student will go back to his HOME state – and pay taxes there – instead of locally) ...

once you know where the MONEY is coming from – and what PRODUCT it's being spent for - then you'll be in a much better position to do YOUR job – and meet the needs of your actual customers ... (and your students will benefit from the arrangement too) ...

TIP: in most cases, there are a lot more job openings for people who can "troubleshoot" and keep PLC-controlled systems operating properly – than there are job openings for PLC "programmers" ... be sure to ask your local advisory committee which set of job skills they're looking for when they hire on new employees ...

good luck with your project ...

PS ... listen to what Mark (geniusintraining) has to say ... he's "good folks" ...

Last edited:
Amatrol has a lot of different training equipment and courses. You might get some ideas from them. One of my customers has the AB PLC and drives training equipment and courses. I asked one guy using it and he said he has learned a lot from it.
http://www.amatrol.com/