New PLC Tutorial Site

DustinS

I just finished putting together a new PLC How To site: PLCHowTo.com
It's a set of tutorials aimed at people new to PLCs, introducing key concepts and terms.
It's written in simple, non-technical language, so it's a good primer for co-workers wanting to learn about PLCs or for explaining what you do to family members.

Hope it's helpful,
Dustin
🍻

I haven't read it all word for word but a quick look says nicely done.

Some of the nomenclature is a little unfamiliar, what PLC/software are you referencing?

Thanks guys,
As for software being referenced, I looked at many PLC software packages and grouped their functions by what they sought to accomplish. The resulting groups I made pages for. There isn't a package on the market that looks exactly as described in the guides, but the concepts should carry over to many packages.

Here's something I thought you guys might like. I just announced PLCHowTo yesterday and since this is the only forum I've discussed it on, the traffic is basically you guys. It appears that about 60% of you are from the US. I'd show you a world view, but it would just have the US dark and everywhere else that visited as light green, not much to see. Here's a US map, you can see where the community is located. It's just 1 day of traffic, but still pretty interesting. The darker the state, the more traffic came from it. Just thought you guys would think it's cool.
map.png

I like the graphics, and the format is easy to use. I can see this as useful for a very basic raw rookie type class, or maybe PLCs for mechanics or such, as well as an interested layman.

I have a couple of comments - take them for what yo think they are worth.

First, in the PID section the description of output seems to actually be describing the measured variable, and I think the output should describe the signal to the field control device like a burner flame or a valve.

Second, it seems to me that the basic ladder functions should precede math functions in the lesson plan.

Third, I think some term definitions and acronym explanations are always useful for rookies. I also think terms like "time delay" and "preset" should be included included in the timer and counter sections. this is jargon that is commonly heard on the street.

Fourth, I think it is necessary to explain that power on/off at inputs changes the state of the corresponding contact in the ladder, and that changing the state of an output's coil causes the external contact to operate.

An excellent job overall, and very attractively put together. You indicate that it is for a non-technical audience, and I think the format is very well suited for that.

Last edited:
Tom, thanks for the great feedback.
PID, It looks like i flipped Input with Output, it's corrected now and I added some descriptions that Bernie requested.
Ladder Logic before math. I originally had it this way, but realized I needed to explain AND and OR before explaining coil and contact, so I put math earlier so I wouldn't have to explain it twice.
I added Time Delay and some terms Bernie requested. Chose to skip preset.
I added a few sentences to the coil & contact page that I think explain your fourth point. Thanks again.

Bernie, my illustration skills are ok, but this one may require some help from my wife, I'll see if she can draw it for me tonight. Thanks

Siemens S7-400 have ethernet comm as standard in all CPU's with PN like CPU 414-3PN/DP etc, and they all can have ethernet as an option if you plug a CP443-1 card. Siemens S7-400 also have motion control with FM 451, FM452, FM 453 etc.

Hey nonuke,
Thanks for the info, I'll look it over and make corrections.
For those confused, I've got 2 sites (PLCCompare and FreePLCSoftware) that are linked to from this site. This question is regarding PLC Compare. There is another thread that would probably be more applicable to this discussion. Thanks again, I'll look it over.