New Student looking For professional Insight

Hi, Could you please help me figure out which answer would be best!!

#1. Allen Bradley processors do NOT HAVE which Communication Device?

(a) D-Shell
(b) 9-Pin
(c) 9-Bit
(d) Data Highway Plus
(e) Programming terminal

I think it is (c) are they not typically 16 Bit? What do you think?

# 2. An area not commonly allocated in the memory map of a PLC is

(a) Data Table
(b) The I/O Table
(c) The application table
(d) The executive table
(e) The CPU

My answer is (e) Would you agree?

# 3. The CPU in a programmable controller....

(a) is stored in RAM
(b) contains a microprocessor
(c) contains the applications programs
(d) can be erased using ultraviolet light
(e) is part of the PLC's microprocessor

My answer is between (b) & (e) but am not sure which would be more correct.

# 4. An older model PLC system has a 8-Bit microprocessor with a 16-Bit Memory structure. How many bits will the memory have if it has a memory capacity of 8000 words?

(a) 128,000 Bits
(b) 131,072 Bits
(c) 8, 192 Bits
(d) 8,000 Bits
(e) 64,000 Bits

I think the answer is (e)?

# 5. 1K of memory is approximately?

(a) 1024 bits
(b) 100 bits
(c) 1000 bytes
(d) 1000 Words
(e) 1024 words

i know that 1K=1024 bytes but that is not of my choices so I am assuming where they are using Approximate. my answer is (c)? what do you think?

# 6. The largest amount of RAM available in a PLC processor is often.............or less?

(a) 16 K
(b) 32 K
(c) 512 K
(d) 1 K
(e) 2 K

This I do not know, they all seem possible, an answer would be great on this subject!!

# 7. A microprocessor is often referred as a?

(a) bus due to its ability to process large amount of data
(b) CPU because they are exactly the same
(c) CRT because CRT's contain microprocessors
(d) ROM or RAM depending on the type of microprocessor
(e) CPU although this is not accurate for PLC application

This is one that I think (b) and (e) have the same answer....but pertain to this question I believe e is the better answer? Your opinion would be great!!

I hope you don't mind answering the few questions I have forward you you, i am in the process of doing my review questions, for my course and would like a professional opinion on if my selections are correct.

I look forward to your reply

S. Fudge

I think the answers to all the questions are to be found in the course material you should have read or the lecture notes you should have taken.

We're always happy to help people out here, but we draw the line at doing your homework or taking your tests for you.

Some of the questions are worded such that you have to know the teacher's definition of the terms used. Your teacher's definition might not be the same as mine. The wording of some of the questions implies that the teacher has a specific answer in mind; one that is probably lurking in the course material.

DAMN IT STEVE! YOU ARE ONE HARD-HEARTED SON-OF-A-BA$TARD!

How do you sleep at night?

I'm really, really, sorry wolfy... these questions are just beyond me... (I feel really bad for not being able to help you... excuse me... I'm gonna go cut myself now.)

But, hey, don't worry... I'm sure Lancie1 will be around to wipe the dribble from your chin!

Flame is on the way!

I hope you don't mind answering the few questions I have forward you you, i am in the process of doing my review questions, for my course and would like a professional opinion on if my selections are correct.
You must be kidding? The two responses you have already gotten are mild compared to the ones that are yet to come or not going to be posted at all. The name of this site is PLCs.net, not getyouhomeworkdone.com and it is very unprofessional to post such a list and expect any answers. You can look up all of that stuff for yourself online or better yet, in your textbook or just ask your instructor for help. We do not usually treat newcomers this way, but this post of yours is just about the closest thing to an insult as any I have seen for some time.
Keep coming here, read posts and learn from the professionals.
Do not expect anyone to do your work for you. No matter the apporach taken to get that to happen.

peavey_wolfgang_2000 said:
Hi, Could you please help me figure out which answer would be best!!

#1. Allen Bradley processors do NOT HAVE which Communication Device?

(a) D-Shell
(b) 9-Pin
(c) 9-Bit
(d) Data Highway Plus
(e) Programming terminal
(f) Any of the above dependending on model.

I think it is (c) are they not typically 16 Bit? What do you think?

# 2. An area not commonly allocated in the memory map of a PLC is

(a) Data Table
(b) The I/O Table
(c) The application table ????
(d) The executive table ????
(e) The CPU
(f) It depends on brand and model PLC.

My answer is (e) Would you agree? Mabey

# 3. The CPU in a programmable controller....

(a) is stored in RAM
(b) contains a microprocessor
(c) contains the applications programs
(d) can be erased using ultraviolet light
(e) is part of the PLC's microprocessor

My answer is between (b) & (e) but am not sure which would be more correct.

# 4. An older model PLC system has a 8-Bit microprocessor with a 16-Bit Memory structure. How many bits will the memory have if it has a memory capacity of 8000 words?

(a) 128,000 Bits
(b) 131,072 Bits
(c) 8, 192 Bits
(d) 8,000 Bits
(e) 64,000 Bits

I think the answer is (e)? This depends on your defination of a word. To me a word is 8 bits. But the conventional definations are Bit = 1, Byte = 8, Word =16.

# 5. 1K of memory is approximately?

(a) 1024 bits
(b) 100 bits
(c) 1000 bytes
(d) 1000 Words
(e) 1024 words

i know that 1K=1024 bytes but that is not of my choices so I am assuming where they are using Approximate. my answer is (c)? what do you think?

# 6. The largest amount of RAM available in a PLC processor is often.............or less?

(a) 16 K
(b) 32 K
(c) 512 K
(d) 1 K
(e) 2 K

This I do not know, they all seem possible, an answer would be great on this subject!! Go to AB.com and check out the specs.

# 7. A microprocessor is often referred as a?

(a) bus due to its ability to process large amount of data
(b) CPU because they are exactly the same
(c) CRT because CRT's contain microprocessors
(d) ROM or RAM depending on the type of microprocessor
(e) CPU although this is not accurate for PLC application

This is one that I think (b) and (e) have the same answer....but pertain to this question I believe e is the better answer? Your opinion would be great!! A mictoprocessor is a component of the CPU, which also may contain memory. Definations vary. I choose e.

I look forward to your reply

S. Fudge

These answeres are NOT guaranteed to match the answers your instructor is looking for. I think you instructor is attempting to get you to open the PLC manual and get familliar with the spicific one your using in your class. You might start with the glossary, or index... Good luck with it..

Well guys I am sorry, but i did not intend for anyone to do WHAT YOU THINK IS MY HOME WORK, They are REVIEW QUESTIONS, for the end of chapter 1, and after reading my material carefully I have my own answers if you have read my question but I just wanted someone else's opinion. I am new to THE PLC and doing a course on my own time, I am planning on taking Electrical mechancial tech. when I finish High school, and thought the I would get a jump on the PLC, eh what harm could it do!!!.........But for an afterthought if all PLC programmers are so self centerd as the 2 reply I have so far....maybe I will think twice!!!

Again I feel sorry for you.....If you dont wnat to help keep you opinions to yourself,

Oh wolfy... :cry: (Yeah, yeah, I know Eric... but you can see why... jeez I hate those things. And after all, Phil made it available so I guess I have the right post to use it in.)

Don't you have enough hair on your a$$ to dig-in and do what you have to do? Can't you take a stand on what you think you know? Do you need a committee to grant you validity? If you have doubts in yourself then why don't you eliminate those doubts by doing what you have to do to find the truth? Not by someone else's opinion but by your own solid unquestionable research.

Ooohhh... I forgot... your attitude is the "TEAM WAY" of doing things... If you don't know... rather than finding out for yourself, ask someone else to tell you the answer. Gee, that's easy!

God... I hate that type of attitude. You are so sad...

I don't want you in my field. GO AWAY!

Learn how to flip burgers or something more in your reach.

Referring to question 1:

In my opinion, a D-shell is not a communication device. Neither is a 9-pin. Neither is a 9-bit (whatever a 9-bit is...$1.125???). Data Highway might qualify as a communication device. Data Highway is an Allen Bradley communications standard. If you accept that 'device' in this case refers to a scheme rather than to a physical thing like a cell phone, the Data Highway is a communication device. A Programming Terminal also qualifies as a communication device.

The question was which communication device from the list is not used with Allen Bradley processors. The only possible correct answers are d and e because those are the only communications devices on the list.

Now, what is a programming terminal? Is it a PC running PLC programming software? Once upon a time, it meant a dedicated computer running a proprietary OS and proprietary programming software. A programming terminal was good for only two tasks. One task was programming the PLC. The other task was boat anchor. So, how long ago was this course developed? If it's 20 years old, the term 'programming terminal' might be referring to one of those old boat anchor/doorstop devices.

Do you begin to see where I'm coming from? Depending on the point of view of the person writing the test questions, there are many possible 'correct' answers.

What are you really after? If all you want is a good grade on your test, go somewhere eldse. If you really want to learn something about PLCs, and by extension industrial automation and control, ask some questions about how they are used, not some useless trivia.

Terry Woods said:
... :cry: (Yeah, yeah, I know Eric...

I'll let it slip this time, but please don't make it a habit. If you start using smilies, then others may decide to change their ways also. For example, Steve may decide to use an avatar... Whoops! I see that's already happened. See what you've started, Terry!...(n)

🍻

-Eric

(T-24) <-- Figure THAT one out, Terry... ;)

Had you stated that this was a review and not homework, you would have gotten fewer snide (but otherwise appropriate) comments. We were letting you know that we don't do others' work for their benefit.

The following is my take, considering I don't have the text. Much of what follows is therefore conjecture.

1. Although I've never heard of a 9-bit communications device, I have heard of an 8-bit system with one parity bit. Perhaps this is being considered a communications device in the text, though. I'd guess 9-bit is the answer they're looking for.

2. A CPU is not an area. It is a Central Processing Unit. This can have different definitions depending on its usage.

3. The CPU, as defined by the manufacturers as a modular unit containing a processor microchip and its associated hardware, would therefore contain a microprocessor integrated circuit.

4. One bit is a single datum with two states. One nibble is four bits, with 16 different values. It is used as a single hexadecimal digit for low-level addressing; two hexidecimal digits make up a single byte. A byte is eight bits. Two bytes is 16 bits, and is referred to as a word. Typically, an address would be limited to a word (four nibbles) in 8-bit processors. This convention continued up until the 32 bit processors were well-established.

8000 * 16 = 128,000

5. I think the correct answer is not present. 1 Kilobyte is 1024 bytes. "1K of memory" is a nonsense phrase. That's like having 1K of fish, or 1K of popcorn, or 1K of water.

6. Since "prohibitively expensive" is not on the list, I'm going to leave this one blank. I'd guess 32K, if I had to. I don't really care until I approach the limit, or anticipate writing a very, very large program (in which case I'd look up the answer because I needed to know it).

7. The correct answer is "microprocessor," but again, it has been ommitted from the choice of answers. I'd say "CPU because they're often referred to synonymously." I know that isn't one of the answers, but I don't really like any of theirs. "E" is probably the answer they're looking for, and therefore reinforces my answer to 3.

Last edited:
Had you stated that this was a review and not homework, you would have gotten fewer snide (but otherwise appropriate) comments. We were letting you know that we don't do others' work for their benefit.

Well... He did actually say that after the questions....
But it does look like the answers he needs are going to have to come out of his specific class notes/textbooks, otherwise not all of your answers are going to match up.....

Last edited: