New Student looking For professional Insight

peavey_wolfgang_2000 said:
Which of the following are discrete output devices?

I know that a THERMOCOUPLE is a device which converts Temperature into Voltage.

my gut feeling is leaning towards D.

Think about what you just said. If a thermocouple does what you said, for it to be an output device, a PLC must have a temperature output.

E: If "Motor Magnetics" is like a motor contactor coil. A pilot light is a good example of a "discrete output device"..

The thermopcouple is an input device..

Wolfgang,

Hang that book your using right next to the TP roll in case you run out... And download the manual from one of the links I posted earlier. The revelevent technology and terms in this field change dramatic rapidly over time. You should really be studing more current material.

Rather than play guessing games with someone else's list, how about an essay question:

Define what is meant by discrete input devices.
Define what is meant by discrete output devices.
Within the context of PLCs, are there any other types of discrete devices?
Staying within the context of PLCs, are there any other types of input or output devices than discrete?

If you can answer those questions, you're well on your way to picking out the discrete outputs from any list that anybody can dream up.

Discrete Output Devices

Answers a, b, & d all have one input devices in the list. e is the only one that has two output devices.

Get A Better Book

Peavey

I think I am ALSO going to tell you - get a better book. Check the publish date. If earlier than 2000 it is out of date. See your friendly library. You can get these expensive books for free. I do

Gotta go to work.

Dan Bentler

Discrete or digital can be interchanged, they are devices that turn on or off.
All but the thermocouple were discrete but only "e" had output devices.
Thermocouple defined: http://www.omega.com/thermocouples.html

Better yet look at the links I posted earlier...especially:
http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml

http://www.sea.siemens.com/step/default.html

You have shown promise with your overall attitude and manner. You are now being obstinate with that outdated material. The "internet" offers an abundance of free tutorials on a variety of subjects that is up to date.

Last edited:
I stopped using the term "digital" when my students had many problems thinking about 7V digital signals (old TTL days) when I used this term... so I now use the term "discrete" to show two DISCRETE states: on and off, or however else you want to describe them (hi/low, 1/0, etc.)

"Digital" is still used in practice, but, as I said, *I* stopped using it when I first heard the more accurate "discrete" terminology.

end_tuquero said:
Guys,
I'am new here... i just want to know what devices can C++ and
PLC can communicate to each other???

Thanks,
end
You need to do 2 things, make this a "topic" AND rephrase the question to determine what you actually need to know.