New Thumb Drive, Forgot How To Set It Up

bright676

I had to get a new thumb drive for all of my Rockwell Software, (PV+ and RsLogix.)

Do I have to create a Rockwell Software folder or will it do it by itself when I save to it? Do I have to format it?

The reason is the thumb drive I had lost everything that I had on it.

Also what are some recommendations for the best thumb drive?
Thank you.

In response to your question about which thumb drive, you won’t be able to fit all of your software on one. You’d be best off with an external hard drive.

Last edited:
I had to get a new thumb drive for all of my Rockwell Software, (PV+ and RsLogix.)

Do I have to create a Rockwell Software folder or will it do it by itself when I save to it? Do I have to format it?

The reason is the thumb drive I had lost everything that I had on it.

Also what are some recommendations for the best thumb drive?
Thank you.

Any reputable brand will do; I'd keep it under 50 GB for faster access/processing.

It needs to be FAT32 formatted; most of the 'smaller' thumb drives are FAT32 out-of-the-box; the 'larger' ones will probably carry a NTFS format; a 'blank' NTFS drive could be re-formatted to FAT32 in minutes (or less).

As for transferring .mer applications between PCs and HMI terminals, on the transfer media you will need to create the nested folders

Rockwell Software\RsViewME\Runtime

The .mer to be 'Copied' (moved) onto the terminal will need to be placed within the USB media created 'Runtime' folder; said folder will be the 'External Memory x' location as referred by the PV+ terminal \Terminal Settings/File Menu/Copy Application utility.

Guessing the OP means a Rockwell Dongle for FTA:

As soon as the license is copied FTAM will create an Activations folder on the dongle.

Then in FTAM refresh the server until you see the dongle as a source, then go to View Activation Folder and it will open the folder on the C:\ (or wherever) drive. With that open copy all the files in the dongle Activations to the C:\ Activations - don't MOVE them.

Then back on the FTAM View Available Licenses hit Refresh and you should see the licenses on the dongle as available and not used.

In the past I just kept all in the standard hdd folders and kept an SD card in the slot on my laptop and sync'd the two of them on start up with a manual sync button on the desktop, should I wish to sync before I leave site etc.

Or use One Drive, Dropbox etc, a usb is a bit clunky.

In the past I just kept all in the standard hdd folders and kept an SD card in the slot on my laptop and sync'd the two of them on start up with a manual sync button on the desktop, should I wish to sync before I leave site etc.

Or use One Drive, Dropbox etc, a usb is a bit clunky.

Agree completely here.

I personally use Sync.com, but a dropbox or onedrive on the PC is the way to go, IMO. It will then sync with other computers you may have, and if the service is good, you can even go back and find previous versions of files.

It has saved my butt more than once.

FactoryTalk View ME requires a specific folder structure for copying from the USB to a PV.

Post #3 has the folder structure needed to transfer from the USB to the PanelView. If you plug your USB drive into the PV and copy to the USB it will create the folder structure. RSLogix does not require any specific folders.

OG