Industrial USB Thumb Drive for PanelView Plus 7

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Happy Friday my friends.

Does anyone have experience with Industrial USB Thumb Drives for the PanelView Plus 7 Performance.

The ones that Rockwell recommends are not available anymore.

I am doing Data Logging Active X, and I needs something reliable.

Rockwell states that they only support FAT, and officially < 4gb.

I know there are lots of options out there, especially on Amazon.

What I am looking for is a high quality USB Thumb Drive, ideally <$20, ideally 4 or 2 GB in size.

Are all Thumb Drives created equally?

Thanks for reading,

Paul

I would have liked it to have HDD LED option as well, but it didn't.

The reason we purchased this model is because at work we are constantly writing over and over new information on our USBs and this model has amazing endurance of 60,000 program/erase cycles, while most MLC-based USB drives on the market have less than 3,000 program/erase cycles. Great for industrial application such as medical, IPC and automation applications.

Hope that helps!

Not what you asked, but food for thought.

A remote PC can FTP all the data log files from the Panelview periodically and you only have to rely on the internal storage and not a USB.

Not what you asked, but food for thought.

A remote PC can FTP all the data log files from the Panelview periodically and you only have to rely on the internal storage and not a USB.

This is a good point, and will investigate further.

Is this something you have set up?

This is a good point, and will investigate further.

Is this something you have set up?

Got this working, wasn't too bad.

Set up User in PanelView Windows
Control Panel --> "Server Config", under "FTP Server" tab, scroll to the bottom, and add a user name and password.

Set up Default Directory
Control Panel --> "Server Config", under "FTP Server" tab, scroll to the top, and define FTP folder. (Default is \Temp\)

Verify FTP Server is enabled
Control Panel --> Services
Under the Services Window, verify FTP Server is enabled (Green).

I used FileZilla and connected with username and password configured above.

Make Sure FTP Server Is Green (Enabled)

Nice one, it's very simple but effective and saves having to rely on Bubba walking around collecting data from usb's or sd cards.

Nice one, it's very simple but effective and saves having to rely on Bubba walking around collecting data from usb's or sd cards.

Yes, this is amazing, and also, opening the panel door is not desirable.

Another bonus to this is you do not have to stop the data logging to retrieve data.

It is a win win win.

Thank you Janner for sharing this method! This is what this board is all about!

I didn't even know there was a thing such as "industrial" usb. Would the cheap ones from wal-mart not work? Or is your USB specially designed for data-collecting purposes? Thanks.

From what I have read, it is the temperature ratings of components used, as well as how many operations MTBF rating.

I have seen some USBs for ~100 CDN, that have these higher ratings.

Not talking about size either, ~100 CDN for 4-8 GB.