Industrial Display Suggestions (-40 C Storage)

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on an application and have hit a bit of a snag. I need to find an industrial touchscreen display that can:

- Tolerate down to -40C storage temp (only need -20 operating temp)
- Suitable for use outdoors, such as having high brightness (800 nits)
- Rated for hazardous environment (C1D2 or ATEX Z2).
- Display only (no embedded PC)
- Panel mount and IP65 or greater on the exterior.

I can find a few solutions out there, but the ones I have found are either HMI/PC combos, or are panel HMIs with proprietary software. I have had difficulty finding a display only option that can tolerate low storage temperature.

For context, I already have an industrial PC hosting Ignition Edge, I just need a suitable display.

Theoretically I could get a display / PC combo, but my current PC also serves as a cellular gateway. Changing all of this would require us to change the design, which I am trying to avoid.

Has anyone encountered a display that might meet these requirements?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at Beijer, however I already am using Ignition for the HMI software which I cannot use with Beijer displays.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at Beijer, however I already am using Ignition for the HMI software which I cannot use with Beijer displays.

What is about Beijer that doesn't work? I'd suggest asking the Ignition crew, they're really good about helping with obscure requirements and protocols.

What is about Beijer that doesn't work? I'd suggest asking the Ignition crew, they're really good about helping with obscure requirements and protocols.

Hi Robb -
Unless I am reading the Beijer product line wrong, none of their HMIs are just "displays", and instead run some software on them (similar to how PanelViews run FactoryTalk View ME, or Siemens ComfortPanel run on WinCC / WinCC Unified).

I already have an industrial PC running the (java based) Ignition Vision client so I have no need for any compute on the HMI display itself.

Good suggestion on reaching out to the folks on the Ignition forums - I figured since this is primarily a hardware issue (and not a software one) the post would be more appropriate here.

We use the Siemens 6AV2 124-0GC01-0AX0 touch HMI (Atex) in a freezer at -18 and no issues so far, it does have a heater in the cabinet that it's mounted. Siemens tells us 0°, but we use it anyway there. Perhaps something to look into?