New to PLCs need help

I almost sined up for this course. HOWEVER it is not accretited, and also, they are involved in a class action lawsuit for another course that promised it was accredited but wasn't. It was pay as you go, seemed like a sweet deal, almost too sweet and that's why I didn't go for it. Maybe some people who have actually taken the course could convince me otherwise

I would say just get the pdf's online about programming from siemens they are somewhat easy to follow and watch youtube videos...

I would say just get the pdf's online about programming from siemens they are somewhat easy to follow and watch youtube videos...

Actually my boss suggested that to me the other day, as he likes installing seimens, when the job doesn't spec a specific brand of plc.

I attended a highly accredited engineering school (Kettering University (GMI))for Mechanical Engineering for 2.5 years, after taking a few summer classes at a community college to transfer back, I fell in love with the Electrical Department and the Labs. I ended up getting a two year associates degree from a Community College in Electrical & Electronic Principles. Some of the classes we had covered PLC (AB systems), LabVIEW, Atmel Microprocessors, Industrial Electrical, Residential Electrical, Electronics circuits, both rookie and advanced. and a NEC Code class. I find that this degree gave a great basis of understanding of many things which all are closely related.

With my degree, our department head/teacher was a Electrical Engineer and got his degree from MSU. So he had many connections and helped by getting many of us interviews and entrance testing to many companies.

I am attending GBC. I am almost done, and think it is a big help. Im a licensed electrician in La, and Tx. I have been doing electrical work for about 10 yrs. We are seeing more and more PLC jobs in the industrial and oilfield service work. I also bought a SLC 500 online, and apply what is in the GBC courses, to the SLC 500 in my shop, and just go at it. I think a combonaction of this course and real world wiring is great practice. I would recomend this course. It can only help you.

so you would say that is is well worth your money then?
im in a camp setting now for work, so the online course would be ideal for me to do in my room so

I took the online PLC program from George Brown College. It is heavily Allen Bradley. I also have my Industrial Electrician and Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) Certificates. After I took my Industrial Robotics course at Centennial College, I found out that only Electricians were allowed to touch the robots at the new Bramalea Assembly Plant. I am now doing programming on an Allen Bradley SLC 5/03, after finishing some programming on Omron CP1's. The funny thing is that I was hired as a robot programmer, but ended up programming the PLC's because they had no one else who knew how. Every job I applied for wanted minimum 2-3 years experience with A-B PLC's, which I couldn't get without being hired first, somewhere. There is no telling if or when the courses you take will prove useful. And there is no telling when opportunities might arise.

new to plc

iv taken class on plc but now i really want to learn this trade as well. my compaby is closing in 3yrs. now i have to , i want to and im ready, any suggestions on it

I started Electrical Engineering straight out of high school, planned on going into power utilities but then right before my senior year, the economy went to hell and all the companies had hiring freezes. So i found a internship at a small manufacturing plant, started learning PLCs (which came rather easy because i had interest/experience in other kinds of programming), and just really enjoyed it.

I wish i had paid closer attention in my controls theory classes though.

I've taken a class on plcs, but now I really want to learn this trade as well. My company is closing in 3 years. Now I have to (and I want to [learn], and I'm ready. Any suggestions on it?
Yes, take some night classes at the nearest school that you can afford. First learn to walk before you try to run. You cannot write a program unless you can write well enough to describe your proposed solution, and also answer questions from customers, whether those customers are your boss, or outside parties.

Some courses to consider:

1. Business Communications (to improve your writing skills). You will need to know how to communicate in writing to be able to do all the customer interfacing and figure out what to put in your PLC programs.

2. Refresher course in English Composition (so that you will qualify for the Business Communications course.

3. When you finish those, then look at other technical courses that might help, such as Basic Electrical Circuit Design, Computer Logic, or similar.

Last edited: