no physical connectivity with micrologix1400 on Ethernet

kapil.29jha

Dear friends,
i am kapil, this is my first post on PLC talk
i am facing problem with micrologix 1400 plc while on connecting with laptop via Ethernet
i already set all the perameter for plc communication below are the list of configured perameter

micrologix 1400 PLc:
ip 192.168.1.15
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

laptop
ip 192.168.1.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

rslinx 2.57

cable used CAT-5 stranded and crossover both.

please help me on this matter ....thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Use the crossover cable and try ping the ML1400 from your PC to check the physical connection and IP config you have setup.

In RSLinx, have you configured an Ethernet driver to communicate with the ML1400?

G.

Dear friends,
thanx for your valuable replay....!!!
i tried with crossover cable with proper ip address and subnet mask in PLC and laptop both..
is there any thing to disable/enable the Ethernet port of Micrologix 1400 PLC?

kapil.29jha said:
...i tried with crossover cable with proper ip address and subnet mask in PLC and laptop both...

What, exactly, have you tried, and what, exactly, has not worked?

If you are sure the IP addresses and subnet mask are set as per your first post...

Have you tried PING 192.168.1.15 from your laptop?
(This should be the first step)

Have you tried browsing to the PLC in RSLinx?
(If PING ok, this should be the second step)

Have you tried to go online with the PLC in RSLogix500?
(If browse ok, this should be the last step)

kapil.29jha said:
...is there any thing to disable/enable the Ethernet port of Micrologix 1400 PLC?

The MicroLogix 1400 Ethernet port is enabled out of the box. There is no "disable" selection as such. To communicate, the IP address, etc, must first be configured - automatically using DHCP, or manually using BOOTP or via front keypad.

Geospark said:
...Use the crossover cable and try ping the ML1400...

In RSLinx, have you configured an Ethernet driver?...

At this point in time, as you have detailed your IP config and are using a crossover cable, and pending a result of the PING test, my focus is more on the vague "RSLinx 2.57" detail in your first post.

In RSLinx, have you configured an Ethernet driver?

I don't want to waste time asking the same questions repeatedly. :confused:

Help us to help you. If we ask you a question or two, please try to answer them with as much detail as possible. If we ask you to try something, please post the results of that test. If you keep replying with "...it still does not work..." type statements, it will take us longer to find a solution.

The more detail you can provide the sooner we can provide answers rather than more questions. ;)

EDIT: Have you tried to connect to the ML1400 using serial, or only Ethernet?
This can be a useful way of checking, and or editing the Channel 1 configuration.

G.

Last edited:
Which version of RSLogix 500 are you using? I experience this with Micrologix 1100 of not having any communication and I found out that the version is not compatible with the micrologix family. I update to RSlogix Pro V8.10 CPR9 and everything is okay. Make sure you can see the Micrologix family when you try to make a new program just like below.
attachment.php

RSlogix500.jpg

Dear Friends,
I am kapil working in a water treatment plant, Bhopal.
we are using Micrologix 1400 PLC to control the process.
we have network of 16 MLX 1400 PLC in which 4 are working fine and rest 12 are not communicate over ehternet network.
when i try to resolve problem on one PLC (one by one) i got that the plc is not communicate via ethernet port where as it comunicate with serial cable perfactaly.
i change the perameter for ethernet communication and agian try to communicate but no result found i am also tried using standerd patch & crossover cable but same result.on Laptop local area netork shows cable unpluged.when i try the same cable with another working PLC it also working Fine.
The detals of software version and perameter below;

Laptop:
Rslinx: V2.57 CPR 9
Rslogix: V8.10 CPR 9
IP: 192.168.1.130
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.100

PLC
CAT: 1766-L32BWA series A Frn 5
IP: 192.168.1.15 to ...30

Please help me on this matter as soon possible.

Sorry for delay...

Ok, now we have 12 out of 16 PLC's not working on a network.

This would lead me to believe that something is different between the 4 working ML1400 and the 12 non-working ML1400?

kapil.29jha said:
PLC
CAT: 1766-L32BWA series A Frn 5
IP: 192.168.1.15 to ...30

Are all 16 MicroLogix 1400 definitely series A Frn 5?
Have you personally checked them all online?
If you are not sure, go online to each 1400 using serial, and go to:

"Processor Status", "Proc" tab, "Processor FRN S:62 = x.x"

(See attached screenshot)

I'm wondering if the 4 working 1400 are FRN 5 and the other 12 are FRN 4 or lower?

Do any of 1400's fault when you try connect via Ethernet?

kapil.29jha said:
...when i try to resolve problem on one PLC (one by one) i got that the plc is not communicate via ethernet port where as it comunicate with serial cable perfactaly.
i change the perameter for ethernet communication and agian try to communicate but no result...

When you say you "change the perameter", what exactly are you changing and where? Is the static IP address you assigned reverting to 0.0.0.0?

There is an anomaly with the MicroLogix 1400 Series A FRN 4 or lower, where a brand new MicroLogix will fault with 08h error - "internal software error" after assigning a static IP address, and connecting an Ethernet cable before power cycling to enable the IP address. FRN 5 fixed this anomaly.

IF any of the 1400 are at FRN 4 or lower,

To check for this issue:
Leave Ethernet cable unplugged.
Go online to one of the FRN 4 or lower 1400 using serial.
Assign the static IP address, etc.
Power cycle the 1400.
Then connect the Ethernet cable and try to connect.

If this is your issue, updating the Firmware to FRN 5 will solve this issue permanently.

If they are all indeed FRN 5, forget the above and we'll try move on.

EDIT: I forgot to ask if they had been working for some time, or is this a new installation?

G.

Processor TAB.png

Last edited:
dear friends

i checked for FRN for all PLC they are same
OS FRN : 5.0
Processor FRN: 1.0

as i know from plant supervisor all PLC's are communicate on ethernet before but now time 12 out of 16 are not communicating

i also try using BOOTP utility but PLC MAC address is not search by BOOTP
and status message show "socket connection failed"..
attaching the snapshot for this. (changed PLC IP to 192.168.1.40, Laptop IP: 192.168.1.221)

bootp_40.jpg

there is no fault in PLC when i connect Ethernet cable checked all the PLC One by one for this.

Do you mean the MicroLogix 1400 processor is not faulted, or that when you connect directly to the MicroLogix 1400 with your cross over cable you can communicate?

If all your MicroLogix 1400 PLC's have IP addresses on the same subnet (i.e. IP: 192.168.1.15 to ...30, Subnet: 255.255.255.0) and you laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.130 and Subnet of 255.255.255.0, you should be able to connect to each directly via a cross over cable. Just connect to the PLC, wait for windows 7 to connect to the network and you should be able to start browsing in RSLinx. If RSLinx doesn't find the PLC at this point, try shutting RSLinx completely down and restarting it.

Also, if you are using the RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver and do not see the PLC, try the RSLinx Ethernet Devices driver as several conditions can stop the Ethernet/IP driver from browsing successfully. The Ethernet Devices driver will require you to add the IP addresses manually but that should only take a minute.

Again, I recommend connecting to each PLC first with a cross over cable to achieve communications before testing network communications out, as this rules out any issues with cables, switches, and routers.

PS - If you get a yellow question mark that's a different issue then not seeing the PLC at all.

Hope this helps,

final conclude that the Ethernet port not working or damaged...
now i am trying to communicate micrologix 1400 by DH485 protocol (i want to read some data word to main PLC which is also a Micrologix 1400 PLC) but i dont want to purchase 1763-NC01 cable or NET AIC module do any one have any idea how to do this...!!!

The 1747-UIC is a USB->DH485 converter. In the past, you could use a 1747-PIC, but those require an onboard serial port and Windows XP Service Pack 2 or older machine.