Old 550pv display comm problem

KAYDADOG1

Looking for anybody that has experience using the older PV550 displays. Have a locked up comm port. Is there any hard factory reset procedure available that is not readily published.

Also looking for help getting the old 1747-PIC module to communicate under windows xp-sp3. I've sent dmroeder an email who in the past seemed to be very knowledgeable on this subject and a software patch to fix. Hoping he is still helping.

Thank You

Last edited:
1st of all, it has been many years since I have done anything with these old PV550s. I "think" that you may be able to get to the configuration screen by holding a couple of buttons in before powering up, maybe the up and down Arrows or to touch a couple of the corners on the screen. If you can get to the configuration screen, maybe you can get the commport settings changed. Sorry, it has been too long to really remember. Another member here, (Geniusintraining), on the forum has a website and sells a USB replacement for the old PIC module and can provide some additional info.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. No problem getting to configuration screen. Changing any of the comm parameters seems to offer no help. I have all the original manuals for these units but nothing printed in the manuals helps.
I have no problem communicating to a second PV550 using the UIC adapter which runs on the USB port. Second unit is recognized immediately under RSlinx 3.7.
Trying to use PIC module only to possibly update firmware. Firmware will not recognize a USB comm port 5. It will only look upto comm port 4.
Thank You

Which exact model of terminal is it ? It sounds like a 2711-K5A2, 3, 5, or 9.

If it's connected to a valid DH485 network and the comms LED doesn't go solid green, you probably should scrap it. These things are old enough that there's no reset procedure that will do anything different than a power cycle.

Do you know what firmware revision it is ? Units newer than 3.x can have their firmware loaded by ATA flash memory card.