Omron CJ1W-ETN21 connection to NS8 HMI

scrambled

Hi all,

I have a customer that has a series of around 15 Omron CJ1M PLC's, each connected to an Omron NS8 HMI via an ETN21 module. The PLC and HMI pairs currently each sit on their own identical 192.168.0.x subnet. However, as part of a telemetry systems upgrade, they are rolling out a new IP address standard. This means we have to reconfigure the ETN21's and HMI's with the new IP addresses assigned to them. The subnet masking will be designed such that the PLC/HMI pairs will still be isolated from each other with the new IP addressing.

The plan is to change the IP addresses but keep the other FINS network parameters such as network address and node number the same. However, I've never worked with Omron before this project and so am completely new to the FINS protocol that they use, so I have a lot of basic questions.

I went through all the PLC/HMI program backups and have seen that all the HMI's are configured with FINS network address 1 and node number 2, while the ETN21's are all configured as node number 1. The network address of the ETN21 I am unable to find in the PLC program. I did some research and apparently that is set as a 'routing table' of some sort in a separate program called CX-net. Is this correct?

My first question is: is this 'routing table' present in the .cxp file backup that I received from the customer or is it supposed to backed up separately? When I browse one of the PLC program backups, I go into network settings in CX Programmer and it brings up CX-net but there's just a blank configuration as far as I can see.

My second question is if I changed the IP addressing on the PLC and HMI, but use IP address tables to make sure they both retain their original node numbers, will they still be able to talk to each other if I keep the routing table unchanged? Or will I need to do up a new routing table when I download the modified programs to the PLC's?

I've probably got something wrong in my assumptions so feel free to correct me if this is the case.