Omron CP1L high-speed counter input

twu026

Lifetime Supporting Member
I can not seem to get the damn high-speed counter working on my Omron CP1L. I have read the manual several times now and can not see what I am missing!

I want to count encoder pulses using the high-speed counter input 0.
I have the encoder phase A wired into input 0.00 and am registering the pulse inputs when I turn the encoder.

I have to resort to using the built-in high-speed counter function of the CP1L because the scheduled interrupt task (2ms cycle time) I wrote to count the encoder starts to miss pulses when I turn the encoder wheel fast.

I need to be able to pick up 2000 pulse/s. I am only using 1 phase (phase A) of the encoder.

From my understanding of the high-speed counter, you need to do the following:

- Enable the high-speed counter in the PLC settings
- Select a mode (I have tried both linear and circular)
- Select a reset (I used software reset)
- Select input settings (I use increment pulse input)

Once that is done, download the settings and you should get the PV count for high-speed counter 0 at A270 & A271.

I have done all of the above and I am getting nothing at all!

I have checked that the Reset flag A531.00 and the Gate flag A531.08 are both FALSE.

I have even tried the PRV(881) instruction:

PRV(881)
W100

This doesn't produce any results either.

Does anyone know if I am missing something. Maybe I need to call an instruction or set some system bit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have setup a CP1L and I am able to count using HSC0.
Wired to 0.00 as you said.
On the PLC Settings / Built In Input tab, I have the following:
1. Use High Speed Counter 0 is checked.
2. Left as Z Phase, Software Reset
3. Linear Mode
4. Increment Pulse Input selected

Downloaded settings.
Cycled Power. These settings require a power cycle.

I can see my count values in A270 + A271 as you said.

Power Cycle!

I can't believe I forgot the single most important rule when it comes to troubleshooting.

Thanks PMCR, all my setting were correct. I just needed to do a power cycle.

I knew I must of forgot something glaringly obvious

Power cycle is turn the power off to the PLC - wait maybe 10 seconds and turn the power back on again.