Omron Zen programming help needed for R.R. Museum signal.

Do you have anything that you could recommend that I read that would help someone who knows NOTHING about this, learn how to do it?
There were a couple of ZEN manuals available from Omron:
Omron ZEN Programmable Relay Operation Manual
Omron ZEN Support Software Operation Manual

One of the guys at the museum who is working on this with me said to ask you these questions.
"Three questions for your programmer, and these are related to his not being sure of the model we have. Question 1. On the Crossing light portion of the program, I believe we would use outputs Q4 and Q5 instead of Y0 and Y1. Yes or no? Question 2. Since Q4 and Q5 are the N.O. and N.C. sides of the same output relay would that fact require a programming change?"

If you could help us with the answer to these that would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

In order to answer your questions effectively, please take and post close up pic's of the front of the Zen unit and the data plate showing the exact model number. Y0 and Y1 are output numbers for an added expansion unit. The addressing is based only on your original post number 1 which said it was a " Omron Zen controller (10C1A-A-V2)". My info says this is a 6 input and 4 output controller. Maybe you have a different unit. The base unit output addresses are Q0 thru Q3 and are consumed by the S T O P lights. Therefore it would require an expansion unit whose 1st two addresses are Y0 and Y1.
It would appear that based on your questions that your model number starts with a 20 instead of a 10. The answers to both questions hinge on the model number.

Last edited:
A link to a manual that should help, see page 51 for output wiring info:
http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/35/...?0a91f2774c83e57f9b43e0f0517fb290&take=binary

Edit:
In the event you are using a 20 I/O unit, the answer to question 1 is yes if you do not have an expansion unit. "Q" addresses are for the base unit, "Y" addresses are for the expansion units.
With regard to question 2, the two outputs are 2 independent N.O. relays with one side of each relay connected to a common terminal that in turn connects to one side of the power source for your flashing lights.

Last edited:
A link to a manual that should help, see page 51 for output wiring info:
http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/35/...?0a91f2774c83e57f9b43e0f0517fb290&take=binary

Edit:
In the event you are using a 20 I/O unit, the answer to question 1 is yes if you do not have an expansion unit. "Q" addresses are for the base unit, "Y" addresses are for the expansion units.
With regard to question 2, the two outputs are 2 independent N.O. relays with one side of each relay connected to a common terminal that in turn connects to one side of the power source for your flashing lights.

The unit IS in fact a 20. If I said 10 before I was mistaken.

Jeff

Do I need to edit and upload the program revision to reflect the different addresses for the outputs or do you want to do that?

Edit to Lancie1 R3 commented program

In answer to my previous post, see attached file. I edited Lancie1's R3 commented version. The changes include: change to 20 I/O unit model, re-addressing Y0 and Y1 to Q4 and Q5 respectively, and updating the comments.

The unit IS in fact a 20. If I said 10 before I was mistaken.
You definitely said "10C1A-A-V2" in your very first post.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=92060
We have an Omron Zen controller (10C1A-A-V2) as well as the software and computer cable to connect to the Zen controller.
This is an example of how 1 digit can cause an entire project to go down the wrong path. In programming, 1-digit errors must be avoided, or corrected as soon as possible.

Last edited: