Orphaned PLC code

Tripper said:
I brought this up 5 yrs ago when I came into this industry from DDC/BMS. For such expensive high quality equipment I cant believe how backward (some) of the software and memory capabilities are. It was unheard of to have synonyms/projects not stored on the device itself.
Anyway that was 5 yrs ago, I quess I have just got used to it now.

Can we start to rant about cabling now? USB is so easy to use, but very few PLCs actually use it. Now we have a drawer full of cables that we need to connect, dig out the right one, hope you don't lose it.

There's a lot of things that PLC manufacturers have overlooked in order to milk more money out of you or cut pennies off their product.

Tharon said:
Can we start to rant about cabling now? USB is so easy to use, but very few PLCs actually use it.

Watch it now!! ;)

Tharon said:
Now we have a drawer full of cables that we need to connect, dig out the right one, hope you don't lose it..

Music to my ears :D

I think big PLC vendors are convinced that if you use their products then you will never need/want to use another PLC from another vendor.

I think in their idealized world, all their clients have standardized on their product and every programmer is an authorized integrator.

I don't know what it is like in the States, but very few of our clients have standardize on one vendor (unless it is a new plant).

So like Tharon, we got a draw of cables (you name it and we probably have it). We still have a S5 cable, a SLC100/150 cable, an Omron interface unit thingy to name of few old ones.

twu026 said:
I don't know what it is like in the States, but very few of our clients have standardize on one vendor (unless it is a new plant)..

I can only speak for myself... but at my real job we have S5's, S7's, AB's, Mitsubishi's just to name a few, the Mitsubishi Q uses the standard USB cable I think that a lot of manufactures will go that route some-day

But even when you are talking just AB's you need carry many just for one brand, like I said I like the fact that there are so many... helps to support my side gig

The one that has a lot is Omron, when you need to make a book to show your different cables for just one brand of PLC's then I think you may have to many :)

On a side note (everything is a side note really), how does a 'one-man band' survive in this game?

The cables are expensive and numerous, the software cost is daylight robbery.

You almost have to limit yourself to one PLC vendor & one PLC model to avoid having to pay for all the cables and software.

You probably have to rely on one major client when has the cables & software on-site.

I never believe I will see that.Omron launched PLC with USB interface.
I program Omron over then 20 years.and I have every cable.You name it I have it.
The new PLCs it one step forward.
USB is nice and cheap but not reliable.
I prefer Ethernet like Siemens IM-151-8.
Unit with only Ethernet. 3 ports with switch build in.
Very cheap unit.(Very cheap and common cable too)

ArikBY said:
USB is nice and cheap but not reliable.
I prefer Ethernet like Siemens IM-151-8.
Unit with only Ethernet. 3 ports with switch build in.
Very cheap unit.(Very cheap and common cable too)

I think USB is reliable enough for a programming interface.

Of course you'd probably want something like Profibus, Devicenet, Controlnet, Modbus, etc. for your actual machine communcations.

What I an talking about is.
The OS is not stable being on line all day long with virtual ports.
I had to install the driver every time.
I had few time the PC restarted no reason when I was connected through USB.
I am not against USB.I think Ethernet and USB is what we will see in the future.
I vote for one cable for all(maybe 2)

Arik,

The Mitsubishi Q PLC that I was talking about does not need any special drivers, you just use any standard USB cable from any store and plug it in... it has a built in USB port

I just started selling the Siemens MPI cables, when you look at the cost of a USB cable (standard over the counter) and an MPI cable... you can buy another PLC :)

Omron CP1L CP1H have build in USB port.
After all the cables I have for Omron that was refreshing change.
I also use MPI adapter & PPI adapter.
When you on line all day long not for just downloading,You might loss connection.
When I use USB adapter I experience problems that I never had with RS232 connection.
I had Gold X USB adapter.I was once connected to PLC.4 tines my PC was restarted during on line.
Since then I am very carefulle with USB.

I use Unity Quantum from Schneider/Modicon. The documentation is stored in PLC memory. They have also a USB port for programming and of course Ethernet too.
The M340 of Modicon has SD slot for backup purposes too.

Robert

My biggest qualm about USB is the connections do not handle vibration well I have an automated scale line that originally we tried USB comm's on it after numerous communication dropouts due to the conveyers causing vibration we ended up going back to regular comm ports If USB could have some means of a screw lockin mount it would be far more reliable on machines